Military Firearm Restoration Corner

been a while

karlunity

Hey gents.

Nothing new but it has been a while so here I am.  Gotta oil and clean the collection but that is about all just beiong a PIA on FB.I got this ole hi inoact face shield left over from when I played bubba and I do sort of get a kick out of wearing it to the store, the Hippy said I like costume becouse I have something or other in LEO..She is into Astrology..ya can take the girl out of woodstock but ya cannot take woodstock out of the girl as they say. I think this mask business is about as useful as a 7.62r to a k98 owner  but ya gotta be polite. One good thing I save a lot of loot since I wrote off walmart and starbucks...Oh Cats are better than dogs and ARs are matty Martall..so there

karl

Cats rule   I shall send Tawny's cousin Leo the lion over to see him Az  then we will see...

Good to be back Manureman  I have been getting in political arguments on FB.. fun for a while  but...

People hate the government and they hate guns  but they want only the government to have guns!!!

The PC world is mad  simple

karl

Still hate ARs.

If you stick a gun barrel in Drive-by’s face. He will think you’re offering up a treat and it will be removed from your hand faster than lightning. My German Shepard won’t take kindly to arming a cat with a P-38. He will demand to know which of his fellow countrymen sold out and gave a cat a Krout pistol. He can also handle Meisje, He will fool him by offering up German sausage, convincing him it was made in Amsterdam from Dutch hogs. 

F86E53CD-A181-4CC1-BECA-5F722F1BAF7E.jpeg

While on the subject of dogs. Does anybody know the vitamin or mineral used to make a pet’s coat shiny?? I made the mistake of asking at Petco and the young girl tried to sell me about $100 worth of vitamins. Lost my connection for buying the high grade and usually very expensive dog food. Petco and Pet Smart we’re donating torn bags and bent cans to the Az Humane Society. After the pet stores found out they were selling and not feeding the high end stuff. The Humane Society no longer sells food in their thrift store. I was paying $5-15 for bags that sold in excess of 50 bucks. Bags were torn, taped and shy a few pounds but a real bargain on Tuesdays, old fogies half price day. My dog now eats Purina dry and occasionally a couple cans of Alpo. Once a week I mix a raw egg or two in his dry food but can’t get the shiny coat back again. 

Do any of you have experience or knowledge of the quality of buying in bulk dog food from feed stores?? Don’t know if I was being hosed. Feed store employee claimed the bulk dog food is also used to fatten up hogs.

Az I’ve never bought any feed of any kind in Arizona, I’ve also never bought dog feed in bulk.

But I buy hog and cattle feed bulk and have it delivered to my feed bins, they charge a flat $1.00 per mile for hauling it , with a 2 ton minimum for making a batch and 24 ton is a semi load.

12% cow feed with high grade supplement and pelletized cost me $312.00 a ton before delivery. Pelletizing and supplement is almost $100.00 per ton 

14% hog fattener/finisher grind mix (not pellets) and middle of the road supplement is the cheapest hog feed I can buy it’s $227.00 a ton before delivery.

Both feeds bought in 50 pound sacks cost almost $50.00 a ton more and I have to pick it up at the mill.

I buy some of my dog feed in 50pound sacks and it’s way more expensive then my hog feed, I’m thinking if that place is feeding they’re dog feed to hogs it’s because they needed rid of it for some reason . And it should make hogs fat as dog feed has higher fat and protein levels 

Doc is giving you good advice match ingredients , if one brand doesn’t give you what your looking for try another with the same formula. Nutrition levels can be the same but they will have used a different mix of the same ingredients to get it to the same level . They use heat/steam to shape kibble/pellets That heat can cook a lot of good stuff out if not watched closely.

So many I gotta drive a truck to afford to farm ! Naw really not to many, I don’t own enough land to make a living at it . 
    I try to keep about 150 or so brood cows so if it was a perfect world I’d have a few over 300 hundred head counting my calves and bulls.

The big packing houses have the hogs all sewn up, I haven’t seen a hog sell at a sale barn in years . I usually just have a boar and a few sows and will raise one litter out of each sow a year. I raise those up to butcher hogs then haul them to a couple small slaughter houses in the area for the folks around home that want a hog for the freezer, mostly friends,family and folks I work with.

35-40 at absolutely the most and usually less but 30 300pound hogs would keep a old man like me busy packing feed sacks and I ain’t as tough as I was 40 years ago!

I’m not able to say for sure what causes the difference but they are different. I think part of it is they are raised on dirt and get some kind of trace minerals from that but that can’t be all of it because there’s just to much different between parts of the country . The biggest thing I think is feed the monster factory contract farms play with it daily at the mills. 
    I’ve hauled loads of ground up out of date bakery goods into feed mills by the semi load also ground hard candy because it was a cheaper way for them to get they’re ration to a certain level for this and that. 
    That’s not an option for little guys mine only get ground corn and beans and supplement that I’m not sure is needed, Dad and Grandpa didn’t seem to need it, and mine don’t get it the last 30 days and I can’t tell that they’re missing anything when I cut it out. But the big companies can raise a hog in weeks less time to the same size,I gotta think that’s the main thing.

But I’m just a hillbilly in the Ozark’s that fries everything and if it doesn’t taste just right I salt it until it does!

When I visited my family in Alberta years ago, we stayed at my uncle's farm.  They had "Canadian bacon."  Real "Canadian Bacon" that they got by raising the hog, subbing out the bacon making part to neighbor farmers, etc.  I wasn't a vegetarian then, and that stuff was incredible.  Totally unlike what is sold here as "Canadian bacon."

8 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Well, Meisje, being from South Africa, insists on a small ring Mauser in 7mm.

Just got me thinking. We’re the Boers using German made Mausers, anybody know?? From what little I know of the Boer Wars. I guess the Dutch settlers were tough SOB’s Don’t recall whose side of history wrote what I read. The Brits were really forking with them over minerals and gold discoveries. Just like the USA learned how effective the 7MM Mauser was in the Spanish and American War. The Brits discovered they couldn’t easily bully the Boers that out gunned them with their Mausers. 

Well there I go thinking out loud again at 3:00 AM and keyboard rambling. I guess being that Drive-by and Stryker being of German lineage will allow Meisje into their exclusive cat hunting club if she prefers German made Mausers. Look out Tawney even your buddy Leo can’t help you. 

16 hours ago, The Zen Master said:

Around 1995, when I lived in AZ, there was a 'farm' near Prescott that would sell genuine, for real, raised-like-grandma-used-to, whole butchered hogs. They did not raise the hogs, they just took the order and sold em for the people that did. So, I ordered one...

I cant even put into words how good that hog was.

Since then I have never found any pork, in any store, for any price, that has come anywhere close; not even the best pork that Whole Paycheck has.

You guys that get to eat that stuff and are bored with it do not know how lucky you are! :D

I might have had some of that Prescott pork and you’re right it was delicious. A couple of my postal co workers once a year would have a boondocker with a couple of hogs pit roasted with Mesquite and a beer keg. One of the guys was from Prescott area. Don’t recall where but he bragged about the hogs being the very best in Arizona. One year he got a Turkey from the same farm and it didn’t turn out good. We’d all chip in ten bucks, thirteen I think for beer drinkers per head and have a feast. I couldn’t understand especially many of the women would drench the meat with barbeque sauce. It was plenty good by itself and didn’t even need salt. We even persuaded a cat hoarding vegan to take a small piece. She claimed her biggest weakness after going veggie was the smell of bacon. I’ll never forget with her Brooklyn accent saying loudly no don’t tempt me you when offered more. 

A teenage friend and for a short time we were brother in laws. He married later into a bar in Dewey. From what I’ve been told the bar is making him big bucks. As the town grows apparently the city govt is putting the brakes on more bars. He has little if any real competition.

i just can’t remember where they got the hogs but if they were also selling Turkeys it’s likely the same place. I’ve never had any better pork in my life. My coworkers were perfectionists in their skills pit roasting. The boondockers sadly ended for the lack of participation. The last one I attended there was Cocaine use, thick pot smoke and some wife swapping. There was one more afterward, myself and others didn’t want to get involved with or be around the druggies.