Military Firearm Restoration Corner

IMPORTANT! Need help with reamer co-op.

ken98k

Glad this is getting worked out. I want to send the 300 Savage Finish Reamer... when Ready.

Once this is Established, no Hurry!! I could use the 357 Reamer, assuming it is for Revolver!! Need to clean up an early Dan Wesson PorkChop Cylinder.

Thanks for taking this on Doc!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the slogan is it’s got me to digging through drawers and safes dragging out old projects. I even found a couple actions I’d forgotten about.

One of them an unissued Persian barreled action I got from SAMCO decades ago I’m kinda thinking about just scrounging around and trying to put it back in original form if I could do it reasonably 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 7x57 reamer, go and field gauges. I'm finished with them. I need to get them returned. 

Doc. if you are taking over the co-op let me know were to send them and how much the sharping fee is.

I'll send Rod the postage for sending them to me. 

Shipping costs should certainly be $8.45 or $10, to cover your gas to the post office, etc., I would suggest.  I have no idea on sharpening costs.  How many barrels can be done between sharpening?  Who does the sharpening on these things?  I've never thought about sharpening.

Whatever the costs are you should not be expected to make up any short falls and I prefer that they be a little bit more than actual costs to cover your gas and what not.

I don’t have any experience with sharpening reamers, the few I own have only been used once, twice at most, but none a third time. But I’m sure no one wants to mess around with a dull one. Honestly I probably wouldn’t be able to tell if one was dull without trying it and might get it wrong then. 
  The pros might sharpen them after every chamber I have no idea on how often they do it or the cost of having it done , or how many times they can be sharpened for that matter.

1 hour ago, manureman said:

Whatever the costs are you should not be expected to make up any short falls and I prefer that they be a little bit more than actual costs to cover your gas and what not.

I don’t have any experience with sharpening reamers, the few I own have only been used once, twice at most, but none a third time. But I’m sure no one wants to mess around with a dull one. Honestly I probably wouldn’t be able to tell if one was dull without trying it and might get it wrong then. 
  The pros might sharpen them after every chamber I have no idea on how often they do it or the cost of having it done , or how many times they can be sharpened for that matter.

I agree you should have Zero out of Pocket..extra is Deserved..

Sharpening?? Had a ream borrowed once from Larry Gibson. Active on Cast Boolits site, He sent the Sharpest reamer I have ever had the pleasure of operating!!!

If ya like, I can PM and Ask him... always been Amiable, with me. LMK

On 3/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, Downwindtracker2 said:

Since I haven't programed the VFD on my lathe, yet.  I just love this electronic age. This question is more merely of interest. How does the Co-Op work ?

You join by sending in a reamer and then you have access to all the reamer we have.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:23 AM, ken98k said:

You join by sending in a reamer and then you have access to all the reamer we have.

So maybe buy one to contribute that the co-op doesn't have?  (For variety, even if you don't need it...)

Just a thought.  We have quite a few in the co-op.  Maybe someone could contribute some strictly monetary value towards the co-op to go towards postage, sharpening, etc.?  Say about the cost of a new reamer? 

• 4 weeks later...

Dr Hess, is the account in arrears?  If so, I would suggest simply increasing the sharpening/postage and handling fee by some amount for each transaction to catch back up.

P.S. Does anyone have Tanglewood’s email or other contact info, or know whether he might be having computer problems again?  I’m just looking for an update on a reamer and gauges I ordered and he hasn’t responded in a while.  Please PM me if you do...

Dr. Hess, I was asking if the account was behind because you suggested that somebody contribute “some strictly monetary value” towards the coop. Not sure exactly what you meant by that, but it came across as a plea for a cash donation.  
As a non-profit, the folks who graciously volunteer their time to run things ought to ensure that postage and sharpening fees are adequate to break even each time a reamer is mailed and used, but beyond that why might anyone be asked to donate anything other than a reamer to get in?  

Not trying to spark any argument, but I guess I’m just a little puzzled by what you were asking for in your April 3rd post...

P.S.  thanks again for the email!

I just meant that instead of contributing a reamer to "join" the co-op, if we have plenty of reamers, which I think we do, that someone might join by contributing cash towards whatever the co-op needs.  I don't think there is any actual account.  Just make sure whoever runs it isn't out of pocket.  Shipping costs go up, sharpening, etc., all that needs to be passed on.

I haven't really followed the co-op over the years.  There was just a need for database type work, and I do database type work professionally, so if there's a need, I can load up the data.  Tanglewood is in charge, so it's officially his show.  I just volunteered to do database work, like keep track of what we have, where it is, etc. should the data become available.

• 8 months later...

Sonic1-1,

Actually, Tanglewood sort of fell off the face of the earth here.  That is, we've had no contact and he doesn't answer his emails.  So, I don't know what the status is.

Were you sonic1 on here?  New email?  Want me to reset the old one?

OK, I've merged your two accounts to the one sonic1 account, changed the email address on that to the address you used for sonic1-1 (@yahoo), and changed your password.  I'm going to email your new PW to the yahoo address and PM it to you as well.  Check your spam folder, as that's where most of my emails seem to go.  Change it when you login or not, up to you.  From now on, just login with the sonic1 account, not 1-1.