Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Meaningful story of a Polish=American mom & daughter

FC

A close friend of my mother was a Polish Jew that survived the concentration camps. She watched as her immediate family went to the gas chambers. Mom’s friend had just turned 14 was strong and healthy and was sent to work in factories. She absolutely refused offers from her children to return to Poland. From what she told my mom the Pols turned against her family and all Jews living in Warsaw by turning them into the Nazis. Most Polish Jews tried to disguise themselves as Christians by attending Catholic Mass hanging Crucifixes and Jesus pictures on walls etc only to be turned in. The Polish lady passed about 10 years ago. One of her sons is a Rabbi the other a very successful business guy with his hands in numerous ventures. 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:01 AM, FC said:

So many hard stories from old Europe. 

Back in my auto parts days. The machinist we farmed our valve jobs to was a Russian immigrant that fought in the Russian Army in WW2.  He was somewhat of a strange character but his work was the very best. His name was Felix and he would always get very angry if he was called Felix the Cat. One of our delivery guys was about 6’4” and really skinny and was nicknamed The Pole. While The Pole was headed to Felix’s machine shop I called asking him to tell The Pole to call me when he arrived. Felix raised his usually mild mannered voice. “ The Pole what pole” I told him our driver Bryon the pole. Felix responded in an angry voice “ Bryon is a pole ok I tell him”. When Bryon returned he started asking what’s wrong with Felix he gave me a hard time and acted like I had germs, made me go up front to use the phone. Found out later Felix had an incident in Poland during the war and hated Polish people. His boss didn’t know the details and told me to never mention the war to Felix as it would often make him angry and he’d often just leave without telling anybody and get drunk. The last I heard about Felix he was in jail for severely beating his Pima Indian wife.