Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1903 Turk rebuild

Sailormilan2

A friend asked me to rebuild a Turk Mauser that I had put together for his son years ago. The original build had a rethreaded Remington 700 .308 Win barrel, and was finished in KG Coatings brushed stainless steel bake on paint.

For the rebuild he wanted a longer barrel and to have it parkerized. The only place that had small ring barrels relatively inexpensive was ER Shaw. So, I ordered one, as well as a new Timney/Buehler safety to replace one that had disappeared on a hunting trip.

It took about 9 weeks for the barrel to get here. All the paint was head blasted off, and once the barrel was installed and finish reamed, everything was parkerized.

I also took off the one piece base, and put on a two piece Leupold set. Barrel channel had to be opened up due to the difference barrel profile. Safety is modified to allow the bolt to be worked while the safety is engaged. Allows emptying the magazine by working the bolt with the safety on.

So here it is. Waiting for the heat wave to end so I can test fire and sight it in.

20200815_140202.jpg

20200813_165022.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

That's damn good.

No kidding especially not likely having been fired enough to say the barrel is broken in. My guess it can only get better with use. Just curious was it factory ammo or did you roll your own?? If it was hand loads I’d appreciate you sharing the formula. 

Been at least 25 or more years since I seriously hand loaded 308. As I recall it was an IMR powder that gave me the best accuracy but I can’t remember the number other than it was not IMR 3031 that I used at the time in 30/30. Winchester 748 was great for loading a bunch at a single setting but shot strings opened up. The IMR powder had to have each load weighed as it didn’t flow through a measurer worth a tinkers darn. I was shooting a somewhat crude Mauser sporter I bought as an unfinished project. The only thing stamped on the barrel was 308, no maker’s brand name. I was shooting 150 gr bullets intended for 30/30 with a flat nose because at the time I had a bunch of them. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 8:53 AM, cowboybart said:

A lot of folks grip about ER Shaw, but every one that I have owned has shot well.

Nice work. Will the parkerize "grey" or "green" with age?

I have two Shaw barrels, 338 and 458 Mags. No complaints from me. I miss the Savage barrel kits Shaw marketed about ten years ago. Got the blued barrel, Savage barrel nut wrench, go and no go gauges. The kits sold at Sportsman’s Warehouse for under 100 bucks.