Military Firearm Restoration Corner

"Expert" at the range today

rdm1962

I had a conversation with an "expert" while at the range today. He claimed that he has shot his Rem. 700 in 30-06 so much that the head space was in the no go stage. I didn't call B.S. right off, so I asked a few questions. 

Q. How many rounds have you fired through it?

A. Around 3,000.

Q. Factory or reloads?

A. Only factory.  "I wouldn't risk damage with reloads."

Q. What makes you think the head space has changed?

A. "It's not as accurate as it used to be"

I looked at the fired brass. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. I looked it over and the trigger guard wiggle. I asked if he ever removed it from the stock. He said he hadn't. I told him that I thought the action screws weren't tight. I got out tools and sure enough I turned each about turned 2 full turns.  He fired it again and miracle it shoot it's former 1 3/4" group again. 

He was amazed at the.55" my Turk in 280 Rem shot. Of course I have those dangerous reloads. 

21 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Practically need to give him a bill for repairing his rifle.

In retrospect, I should have told him the barrel was shot out and offer him 50% of it's value. Telling him I would have to rebarrel it. I could have taken it to the next gun show and made a profit. But that's not who I am. 

On 9/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, rdm1962 said:

It can be serious. I met a  guy at the range that was using the wrong ammo. I think the "Guy at the show" told him   it was ok/ Or so  he said..I think it was 8mm turk in a 3006  Mosin.  It would not I think have been good

On 9/8/2020 at 11:58 AM, karlunity said:

I knew somebody years ago that shot an 8MM in an 03 Springfield. He was in his 80’s and likely got confused. He claimed it kicked harder than a horse and he had to beat open the bolt with a hammer. He was a good guy a former clay and wood carving artist my buds and I used to give him lifts to gun shows. He was an avid pocket knife collector.

I did that too. Forgot the rule and had 8mm on the shooting table and 3006. I loaded the 8mm from my Mauser  into my  30.06 1917 Enfield.

The hole was dead center at 100 meters..I was going to load some 7.92 in 3006 cases  but perhaps lucky for me the range closed

karl

The closest I've come is I used a 32 Winchester Special brass to load a 30-30 Winchester round. I own 1 @32 and 4 of the 30-30s. Without thinng the neck. It chambered fine but kicked like mule when fired. The neck had no room to expand. On the flip side I use 30-30 for 32. They are the same case just a different bullet diameter. I write"32"on the case head with a sharpie. I'm very cautious when grabbing ammo. 

Several years ago with my son and his friend were shooting 41 mags in my 44. No damage other than the brass and a lot of time getting the lead out of the bore. He was shooting my home cast bullets.The blame was mine. Using a plastic box for my reloads I marked 44 Mag with a marking pen. Needing the box later for 41’s I put a piece of masking tape over the 44 marking and wrote 41 mag. The tape came loose, I wasn’t paying attention until my son’s friend complained about the difficulty extracting the brass. 

Way back in the early 70’s at a gun store they had a blown side by shotgun on the wall. Below was a sign saying something like. Warning do not use modern shells in a Damascus barrel then in bold letters WE TOLD YOU. 

Another mis-hap was at the old Maricopa County Shooting Range. They hung a blown military rifle with a bent barrel from the ceiling. Sign hanging below said something to the effect. Make sure to use the correct ammo, if in doubt ASK. What I was told by a park ranger. The rifle blew sending a metal fragment through the shooter’s lip embedding into his gums. The bent barrel was caused by the shooters brother. Raging with anger he beat the rifle against the cement shooting bench.I was new to guns back then and have no idea what king of rifle or ammo was involved.

About five years ago as I arrived at the same shooting range an ambulance was leaving. For some unknown reason Phx cops, Deputies and DPS all responded to do a report. The safety guy told me police have to respond to any shooting injury but wasn’t sure why all three agencies responded. When I asked what he was shooting the safety guy said there’s what used to be a Derringer in several pieces over there. There was a blood stain on the bench.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:32 AM, karlunity said:

I did that too. Forgot the rule and had 8mm on the shooting table and 3006. I loaded the 8mm from my Mauser  into my  30.06 1917 Enfield.

The hole was dead center at 100 meters..I was going to load some 7.92 in 3006 cases  but perhaps lucky for me the range closed

karl

Fortunately I’ve had a few close calls while taking friends shooting. A few months ago my grand kids wanted to shoot some military rifles. I was going to take several but decided at the last minute to not bring anything that the ammo could get mixed up. I left the 8MM’s and 308 AR-10 at home taking a 765 Argie carbine, a 303 Brit Enfield and a M-1 Carbine and Garrand. The 06 ammo was on clips so not to be confused with the 765 Argie. 765 Argie could be easily confused with 308. My grandson has shown a keen interest in Mausers and was a bit disappointed me only bringing the Argie. 

21 minutes ago, AzRednek said:

Several years ago with my son and his friend were shooting 41 mags in my 44. No damage other than the brass and a lot of time getting the lead out of the bore. He was shooting my home cast bullets.The blame was mine. Using a plastic box for my reloads I marked 44 Mag with a marking pen. Needing the empty box later for 41’s I put a piece of masking tape over the 44 marking and wrote 41 mag. The tape came loose, I wasn’t paying attention until my son’s friend complained about the difficulty extracting the brass. 

Way back in the early 70’s at a gun store they had a blown side by shotgun on the wall. Below was a sign saying something like. Warning do not use modern shells in a Damascus barrel then in bold letters WE TOLD YOU. 

Another mis-hap was at the old Maricopa County Shooting Range. They hung a blown military rifle with a bent barrel from the ceiling. Sign hanging below said something to the effect. Make sure to use the correct ammo, if in doubt ASK. What I was told by a park ranger. The rifle blew sending a metal fragment through the shooter’s lip embedding into his gums. The bent barrel was caused by the shooters brother. Raging with anger he beat the rifle against the cement shooting bench.I was new to guns back then and have no idea what king of rifle or ammo was involved.

About five years ago as I arrived at the same shooting range an ambulance was leaving. For some unknown reason Phx cops, Deputies and DPS all responded to do a report. The safety guy told me police have to respond to any shooting injury but wasn’t sure why all three agencies responded. When I asked what he was shooting the safety guy said there’s what used to be a Derringer in several pieces over there. There was a blood stain on the bench.

Yep it does take a while, but sooner or later you learn, it is hoped without being hurt, why the old guys made the rules. You did the right thing in bringing nothing that could be confused. Recall our pal Murphy never sleeps

karl