Military Firearm Restoration Corner

HURRY IF YOU NEED 9MM $19.95 per 50rd box

AzRednek

A local gun guy is claiming the biggies, Remington, Winchester, Federal etc. They are selling ammo using oddball brand names so they can jack prices up and not ruin their reputations. For what it’s worth being on the internet so it has to be true!! He claimed to have inside knowledge but wouldn’t elaborate. 

Wouldn't surprise me.  "Private Label" ammo, why not?  Soda pop companies have a whole catalog of brands just sitting there doing nothing.  They can pull one out and start selling soda pop under any of them.  Ammo companies could do the same thing.

5 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Wouldn't surprise me.  "Private Label" ammo, why not?  Soda pop companies have a whole catalog of brands just sitting there doing nothing.  They can pull one out and start selling soda pop under any of them.  Ammo companies could do the same thing.

Anything is possible but all the ammo I’ve managed to scrounge since the panic buying started has been foreign made. I did come across a merchant selling new ammo with no brand name in 100 rd plastic baggies. Best I recall ad said “new not reloads”. As expected I looked to late as it was sold out. Price wasn’t ridiculous but high compared to pre-panic prices. If I remember right, it was mid 30’s for 9 and 40 and high 30’s for 45ACP. All was FMJ’s. 

Back in 66 and 67 I worked in a grocery store after school and eight hour shifts on weekends and school holidays. My main job was sorting returnable deposit pop bottles. At the time my store was 3rd or 4th for the state in pop sales. Sometimes it turned into a cluster screw as the bottling rights often changed from one company to another. Dr Pepper and 7 UP 12oz bottles went to one bottler but if I came across an older 6-8 oz bottle it want to another. RC Cola, Dads root beer, Barq’s, Canada Dry, Nesbitt’s Orange, Vernors and some other slow sellers changed hands often. I remember during that time frame Shasta cans came from a different company than the Shasta returnable quart bottles. Nearly every night I’d get a few Quart, 12 or 16 oz Coke or Pepsi bottles from Mexico. The grocery store had to eat it as the local bottlers would pay the deposit but I usually sneaked them in, in the middle of a wood crate. I just can’t remember the brands involved. I had to remove one brand from pop machines as the store did not own them.  I often got returnable bottles full of cigarette butts and ashes, dead mice and large sewer roaches but strangely a bottle would show up every now and then with a used rubber or tampon stuffed inside.