Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Remington taking bids to sell its ammunition division

AzRednek

Saw a short video on YouTube today claiming Remington is selling off its ammunition and Barnes bullet divisions of the company. It’s probably somehow connected to the bankruptcy protection Remington recently filed. Apparently Remington was involved with negotiations with the Navajo Nation but all it said in the video “it fell through”. I’d really like the Navajos to get it and possibly build a factory here in Arizona. The highest bidder so far is a corporation that also owns Palmetto Armory. 

I wonder if the sale will be good or bad. Remember when Remington’s parent corporation bought Marlin. They moved the factory and manufacturing equipment to another state leaving behind Marlin’s knowledgeable and experienced employees and started turning out some real junk. I sure hope the new owners don’t down grade Remington’s quality or discontinue some of the slow sellers. 

Several years ago I had a bad experience with Remington ammo. Right after I completed my 35 Whelen project I bought five boxes of Remington ammo. I didn’t need that much but I wanted a good supply of brass. Every 20 rd box I was getting 3-4 with split necks after the initial firing. I sent off a rather unpleasant letter along with samples of the cracked necks. Remington sent a very apologetic letter claiming they out sourced the brass and are no longer using the manufacture. Remington made it right by including 100 pieces of brass and 100 of their Corlockit bullets with the letter.

I'm kinda down on Remington ammo myself.  During the last great panic, the Obama panic, I loaded up on 22LR, buying it when I could to keep the panic going.  I wound up with boxes of 550 Remington Golden Bullet 22LR's.  Worst ammo I have ever bought.  I get maybe 1% duds.  There are some seriously lucky squirrels and coons out there.  I've never had anything like that in 50+ years of shooting 22LR.  I think I'm fortunately on my last box of that crap.  I don't see how anyone else could do worse if they buy the brand name.

In the mid 90's, I bought a case of Russian 22LR.  It wasn't match, marked "Junior Sport Hunting."  Very accurate out to about 75 yards, then it started to drop off pretty fast.  I used to shoot competition Hunter Pistol with it. I bought it from Sportsmans Guide, and it was super cheap, like 2-3 cents a pop or so, if I recall.

I recall Remington buying out Eloy brand 22RF match several years ago. According to an old man I was next to at the range shooting a very high end German 22 target rifle. He claimed the quality and accuracy dipped after Remington took it over. He swore by the Russian match grade saying it’s the best he could buy in the USA. He mentioned another brand made in Sweden or possibly it was Denmark that hasn’t been sold here in years. 

1 minute ago, AzRednek said:

I recall Remington buying out Eloy (or Elay) brand 22RF match several years ago. According to an old man I was next to at the range shooting a very high end German 22 target rifle. He claimed the quality and accuracy dipped after Remington took it over. He swore by the Russian match grade saying it’s the best he could buy in the USA. He mentioned another brand made in Sweden or possibly it was Denmark that hasn’t been sold here in years. 

• 2 weeks later...