Military Firearm Restoration Corner

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A M-1 CARBINE BOLT FOR SALE??

AzRednek

I prefer to buy a bolt assembly as it appears a special tool is needed to disassemble and assemble. I also have zero knowledge on how it’s done. If anybody has one I can offer up some decent trade offers or pay a generous amount. 

Does anybody know if a flat bolt assy can replace the latter round bolt?? Does anybody have the tool to assemble the bolt?? I’d be willing to pay a good price if anybody is willing to take on the job. 

THX Doc, I bid and won, going to cost me about a 127 bucks for a used one. Price seems outrageous but I doubt I’ll find one for less. I realize it’s a crap shoot buying used but being a cheapskate I guess it’s a risk I’m willing to take. What ever the problem is that caused it I hope I don’t see a repeat. The Carbine has had very little use so I’m hoping it was simply a defective bolt. 

• 4 months later...

I know it’s an old post but just gotta know if you got the M1 going. I think maybe I’ve craved one longer than any other rifle but never had the money to throw at one. Had a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine that was the most accurate pistol I ever owned but an eardrum buster. 

On 2/16/2021 at 7:44 AM, Horsefly said:

I know it’s an old post but just gotta know if you got the M1 going. I think maybe I’ve craved one longer than any other rifle but never had the money to throw at one. Had a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine that was the most accurate pistol I ever owned but an eardrum buster. 

No I haven’t shot it yet since I bought a bolt on eBay for about a hundred if I remember right. I did install it, perfect fit and manual function. Being a cheapskate I didn’t pay the extra bucks for a matching Rockola marked got the Inland Marine, IM stamped bolt. Geez I had numerous attempts typing in I M together. The dam spell check kept changing it to IV, IR, I’M or I AM !! 

I bought a Ruger 30 Carbine revolver in the early 70’s the year they were introduced. It was by far a real POS. There was a lot of hoopla promoting it in gun rags, never a mention of the extraction problems. On the first outing empties were near impossible to extract, rod bent, housing came loose and the final straw the front sight loosened. Took some red tape to get Ruger to eat it, took a few weeks after it was returned. Ruger gave the merchant credit for future purchases. The merchant in turn gave me in-store credit for the gun but I was stuck with ammo. Can’t remember for sure what I got in exchange, think it might have been a Llama 38 Super or Star 45. I do recall wanting his brand new in the box Walther P-38 but didn’t have the extra bucks needed to make up difference in cost and the creep wouldn’t do a lay away until payday. Turned me off of Ruger revolvers for years. At the time I was an outside auto parts salesman. One of my customers bought one about the same time. His remedy was spraying WD-40 in the cylinder and ammo. Like you Fly he claimed remarkable accuracy.

The  mechanic customer later did some jail time getting caught up scamming an insurance co in a break in and theft of his firearms collection including the Ruger 30. He still had the supposedly stolen guns and a scorned woman ratted him out to cops. Cops caught him with his pants down showing up about 2-3 AM with a search warrant. He wasn’t to bright, plead not guilty without a lawyer. He BS’d the judge claiming he bought them back using his underground connections. He only did a few months in jail and was on probation making weekly restitution payments to the insurance co. Cops kept the guns. I ran into him  years later. He was in the process of trying to get his civil rights restored. 

My .30 Ruger never had ejector problems and I shot a peecup full of shells through it but it stretched brass so bad I’d only reload them once. It was old style 3 screw Blackhawk. My long time best friend started collecting old models and the .30 carbine and Hawkeye single shot were only 2 he didn’t have so I gave it to him. I gave 160.00 for it I think in ‘78 paying almost a year on lay-away. We hauled hay for or guns with majority of money going to just living. I was in Kerrville (Tex) recently and noticed A new .30 Blackhawk in counter. My 1st thought was damn if people only knew what I know about those. Sitting here fighting spell check my ears are ringing outta my head and all I can think of was the 1st shot at a turtle on Denton Creek with the gun and ears never stopped ringing after over 40 years. Can’t believe Ruger still makes them.