Military Firearm Restoration Corner

416 Taylor

ken98k

On 10/11/2020 at 11:06 PM, AzRednek said:

What is a range rod?

This is copied from Midway.

Once a barrel is running in the steady rest or headstock, insert the range rod into the bore and set the indicator to read on the surface of the indicator rod. The removable pilot indicator rod centers itself in the bore, effectively indicating off the inside of the bore for a perfect inline bore.

Notes:

• Rods have a removable pilot and are made of steel.
  • This Range rod is tapered so that when inserted into a non-chambered barrel blank, a small section of the rod will protrude from the bore. The rod will be aligned with the center of the bore due to the pilot and the rod's taper (near the end of the rod opposite the pilot). The rod can then be used as an index point to assure that the blank is centered in a lathe prior to any machining operations.
  • If using a pre-chambered barrel, a PTG Indicator Rod will work better, since the taper in that rod is much closer to the pilot (the rod will center in the throat area of the chamber and still protrude from the barrel at the breech.
  • Range Rod: new, unchambered barrel blank
  • Indicator Rod: barrel that has been chambered

• 1 month later...

I've called PT&G twice about this order order and email multiple times, At one point they said it would be shipped on October 5th, now they are saying December 5th.

I guess if I don't receive it by December 10th,  I'll file a claim with my credit card company.

• 1 month later...