Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Shot shell reloading

manureman

I’ve reloaded center fire rifle and pistol ammo for decades, but never shotgun shells.

I bought a Lee load all 2 for equipment, and have ordered a Lyman manual.

I’d really appreciate any recommendations you all have. I’m not much of a shotgunner but times being what they are thought it might be prudent to get the makings and roll a few to get educated in case I’d need to at some time.

For the Lee I had good luck resizing the the brass portion or what ever metal was used. Run the sizing bushing over metal then turn it upside down and do it again. It wasn’t critical on my double barrel but occasionally a shell would be sticky in a pump or auto. Avoid the cheapie Winchester shells with the tissue filler. If you’re using a hodge-pod of various shot shells. Use the Hornady I think is named Versa-Max or similar type wad that enables you to vary the length of the fill. For years I used the Lage (pronounced Loggy) universal wad but they went belly up. Some shells I had to completely collapse the legs and others I left it full length to get a perfect crimp. With the Lee I eventually developed a feel for the correct crimp pressure. To much the crimp leaves a big hole on top of the shell. Not enough the crimp won’t hold. When I over crimped leaving a small hole on top of the shell. I kept a candle nearby and dripped in wax to keep the shot from falling out. If the hole is to large, scrap it. To gain length of the was and shot to get the shot at the perfect spot for a good crimp. I had lucked into some very old felt and cardboard discs to fill the shot cup to raise the shot high enough for a perfect crimp. Later after using up the old Herters cardboard and felt wads. I used a cheapie Chinese tool for punching holes in cardboard. Can’t remember if it was 3/8 or 7/16 cutter I used to fill the shot cup. Wish I could remember the Remington wad number but it’s over all length was to long on most shells but I was able to collapse it for a perfect fit while some brads of shells I left it as is or just a slight collapse. 

Don’t let my rant confuse you. Give it some time you will get the feeling for the correct crimp and wad pressure. If you come across any high brass shells hang on to them for buckshot SD loads. If have all the same brand and type shells. Chances are good you will find a perfect combination of shell, wad and powder in the Lyman manual. Surprisingly the plastic Lee shot and powder bushings are very accurate. I used a Lee for several years, never wore it out but later I got a deal on a Large Hornady machine. I don’t load shot shells any more. Here in Az around Dove season the K and Wal marts sold shells for less than the cost of rolling your own. Not as good as my 1 1/4 or 1 1/2  oz hi velocity loads but a lot cheaper. I never had much luck with buckshot or slugs. 

Another trick I failed to mention. If you have shot, powder and wad and it’s to low for a perfect crimp. Put a popcorn kernel in with the shot to raise the level, two if necessary. I loaded hundreds that way but can’t remember the brand of shell it was necessary. Best if you can get the kernel on the bottom of the shot charge. Works perfect and the plus is you will discover when shooting if you’re shooting behind or to far ahead. You will see it. Despite the nay sayers the kernels will not pop. I found the pop corn remedy in a 1960’s Lee manual and used it for years.