Military Firearm Restoration Corner

6.5 Creedmoor disected

FC

I’ve always been a fan of 7X57 but all my shooting was done in surplus rifles. All were Spanish with one exception was a friend’s FN-49 I believe was Venezuelan. He lost it in a divorce so before he gave it up. We took it to the desert and shot hundreds of corrosive ammo and didn’t clean it. His wife demanded it because her brother wanted it. My friend also had a long Brazilian Mauser in 7X57 but I never had the opportunity to shoot it. The FN-49 was a sweet shooter. Best of all was the low recoil. We were shooting metal dongs about 250-300 yards and just couldn’t miss with it.

My former father in law during WW2 liberated a drilling. He claimed it was a 7MM but used a rimmed cartridge. He didn’t know if it was a rimmed version of the 7X57. Long story short he liberated a bunch of guns from a Sicilian police chief. He gave the drilling and most of the cache to his men. He kept a couple of Colt revolvers for himself. 

I like that narrators videos, he’s pretty sharp but some of his videos are just to long. 

A

On 10/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, FC said:

https://youtu.be/XkeW2CHEMdo

Somewhat difficult, but I get the gist.

Another example of this guy’s knowledge, he’s really sharp but I had difficulty concentrating due to the long length. I did learn something I was unaware of. I didn’t know he Creedmore was developed for AR rifles. Guess I’m showing my age!! If I can hit a deer in the killing zone at 150 yards with a 30/30 I’m satisfied. I was never into long range bench rest shooting. I have a Remington 22/250 with a heavy factory target barrel. I haven’t shot it in at least 20 years. I only took it varmint hunting once and never got a shot. We ended the hunt with shooting at a rock a few hundred yards away. My friend did better than me with his 25/06. 

A "drilling" is a 3 (German for 3 is 'drei') barrel firearm, typically with one rifle barrel and 2 shotgun barrels.  Popular in Europe, especially Germany.  The Luftwaffe had some super high grade drillings to use as a survival firearm in case their planes went down.  After the war kinda took off and their resources became more and more limited, they stopped that.  Those Luftwaffe drillings come up for sale and go for a whole lot of money.

I’ve only handled a drilling I saw years ago at a gun show. I was surprised at how light and well balanced it was. I was expecting it to be top heavy. I can’t remember the oddball metric caliber the rifle barrel was. The shotgun barrels I believe were 16 ga. It had fancy engraving and what the seller thought was silver inlay of a bear on one side and a deer or similar type animal on the opposite side. The leather sling also had a wildlife scene. I just can’t recall his late 70 or early 80’s asking price but it was way beyond anything I could ever afford. It would be nice having a valuable piece like that but where would one find a buyer.