Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Muledeer trip almost here

Horsefly

My desert muledeer hunt is 9 days away,and I already have all my junk ready to go,piled up in a corner.Me and a buddy will be down there for a week,on 10,000 acres.My friends dad usually goes,but his wife has just had a bout with lung cancer,and although she's doing great,he doesn't want to leave her.Another guy that hunts with us can't get off work,his company was bought out buy some French Canadians,so his job scared,and an old man that comes down with him broke his foot a while back,so that just leaves me and my chum.I told him that nobody wants to go with him there,and his comeback was,"good,it just gives us lots more to hunt"! Last year,we had taken enough steaks for supper every night,but only had them a couple times.We had quail and javelina most nights.I shot a sow javelina,not old or young,so we cooked her on a junk smoker we found in the ranch junk pile,and danged if it wasn't real good.4 of us ate the whole thing in a couple nights.My friend Kevin,got up one morning and was setting at the table eating some cold javelina ribs and drinking a beer,just trying to grose us out,so I opened a can of Wolf Brand chili and ate it cold out of the can and drank a hot beer.I won the grose out contest and later that morning we decided to find a different form of intertainment.Kevin hadn't ever had quail before our first trip down there 3 years ago,and now he's more excited about fried quail than the deer hunting.He grew up about 20 miles from where I did,but was a townie,and they just didn't live off the land like we did.This year,I'm taking more pictures than usual,and am making it my goal to learn to post them here.I'm so computer illegitament!!!Jerry

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

Have fun Jerry. Wish I was going with you, sounds like a good time. I'm not much on beans - hot or cold - but the camaraderie sounds like the real deal. Please do bring us some photos back so we can all envy your good fortune.

Jerry, I'm glad you're finally getting to go hunting. I know that you have been chomping at the bit. I hope you have a good time and get a bigun.

I've been down to the lease several times since season started, but I haven't done much good until this last weekend. I still haven't shot a whitetail but I shot two nice Axis deer this last weekend. One of them was so big that me and the land owner could hardly get it loaded in the truck. It sure is nice to hunt near one of those high fence ranches that has a few holes in the fence. My hunting buddy shot a really nice trophy Mouflon ram opening weekend.

I think about you every time I go thru London. I've been going thru London at night the last couple trips down to the lease and man you gotta pay attention or you'll be wearing a deer in your grill. There were two nice whitetails ran over right there in downtown London last time I came thru.

Anyway, have a good time on your hunt and good luck.

Man I'm gettin about as long winded as you are.

Mike

Jerry,

Good on you man! I wish you and your bud the very best of luck and may he slaughter a flock of quail.

I have been so busy hunting for jobs this fall that I haven't even been to the lease; much less bought a license yet. I do love to hunt, especially with good friends and I envy the hell out of you right now!

Have a great hunt man!

Jason

Oh and holler at me if you need some help posting pictures. Its not hard and I think I could getcha fixed up pretty easily.

Well buds,it's finally here.It's 4:45 am and I'm waiting on my ride to head to the boarder.I feel like I'm going to pee my britches I'm so excited.I've got all my stuff setting at the end of the driveway waiting.The mini-blinds are open so I can watch my stuff.Sure would be devistating if someone stole my beer,and guns too.You fellers be sweet and I'll holler when I get back.Jerry Jim,reckon you finally got a break!Good hearing from you.

Dang, this is the only occassion I can imagine myself saying, "sure wish I was feeling like I was gonna pee my pants!"

Best of luck, enjoy the occassion!

Good morning pals and gals! I got back from the border last night about 7,and what a trip I had.The weather was beautiful,was with my best friend,made a new friend,and brought home the meat.I got a nice 9 point,2 big javelina boars,and shot 15 quail.I'm sunburned,sore,chapped lips,and my legs are ripped to pieces from all the thorns and cactus.Man I've never felt better.I made the longest shot of my life,310 yrds.I took a borrowed range finder,and of course it was in the jeep back at the ranch house,so we checked it when we got the jeep to my deer,and if I had know it was that far,I wouldn't have shot,but I did and hit him high in the lower part of the neck,and he folded up like a sack of rocks.If anybody wants to trash .308's,now is the time,'cause I'm ready for 'em.My deer was so heavy,me and my buddy Kevin couldn't load him in the jeep at first,so we dragged him to a rock ledge,backed the jeep up to it like a loading dock,and yanked him up in it.That was a good him-rod test if there ever was one.When we got the deer back to camp,we backed the jeep under an old gate post that was made out of 2 7/8's pipe and the piece across the top was pipe too,so we threw a heavy braided nylon rope over the cross bar and pulled the deer up with the jeep,and I thought we were going to bend the post on the ends over,but it held,and the fun began.He was an older deer,'cause his teeth were worn way down,and his horns are the strangest grey and white.Real unique,and I'm proud of him.Yesterday morning we were driving off the ranch heading home,and Kevin had just said he couldn't figure out why we didn't see more deer on that part of the ranch,when the dangest buck ran across the road,up a little hill about 50 yrds.,and just stopped and looked at us.Kevin crammed on the brakes,and went to digging his gun out,and said oh mother %*&$#@*&$^&(^&%,my shells are in my junk box,so I said get mine,the shells are in the case.About the time I got it out and started putting shells in,he said,naw,I better not,we'd have to clean him,and we're already running late.I tried my damnest to get him to shoot.He shot a small buck the first day,just knicking his leg,and it didn't even slow him down,and he was down in the dumps over missing,and it was our 4th year,and he hasn't killed a deer yet,but I couldn't get him to shoot.That deer was a wall hanger.I told him it wouldn't take me 15 minutes to field dress him,and we'd drop it off at a processer since it'd be so late when we got home.He said,"how in the hell we going to load him after all the trouble we had with yours",and I told him we'd worry about that later,if you would just shoot him.About that time,he turned and walked over the hill.For 11 hrs.,all I heard was,gosh dang I should have shot that deer.It was the last day of season,we were still on the ranch,and he still had his tag.I cleaned the 2 javelinas and gave them to some Mexican ranch hands on another ranch,and 2 guys at work wanted the heads to mount.I never cleaned a boar before,and that's got to be what skinning skunks would be like.Man-o-man do they stink.I've cleaned 3 sows,and they don't stink at all,and we even ate the one last year I shot,and I got to admit,it was top notch grunts cooked on the smoker.We had the 10,000 acres for 4 days to ourselves,another friend of ours had to leave Weds. morning.2 brothers and their sister own the ranch,and the youngest brother came buy Saturday evening in his old '64 International Scout,and it was missing and banging out terrible,and it's 35 miles back to the little community where his sister lives and left his truck,so we talked him into staying the night,so he could work on it in the daylight.We had a good visit.He speaks good English for down there,and after about a 6 pack,he loosened up and told us stories about growing up down there and how his great grandfather sheared sheep to pay cash for the ranch,stuff that needs to be in a book.His sister is a school teacher,and after I told him all that stuff needs written down,he said I was right,and he'd see what she would say about recording all their memories.He could tell we were fasinated by what he was saying.I reckon that's enough of this,I need to rake leaves that all fell at one time while I was gone,put all my toys and gadjets away,and then cut my deer up if it's thawed enough.Thank ya'll for being here to read my crap,and sorry about the spelling.Have a large day.Jerry

Man, it seems like a long time since you left and I have missed seeing your posts here. I for one am very glad you had a great trip and hunt. It is times like that which make the rest of each year easier to get through. You will have many good memories to think back on from time to time knowing each time will bring a special smile. Anyway, glad your back with us. Enjoyed the story. swamp_thing

Glad to hear you had a good hunt, Jerry.

Sounds like the best ever.

flaco

N.B. What's up with your friend? Is he young?

I'm at the age when I try not to let opportunities pass buy. For me, this means mainly buying actions and wood whether I can afford them or not.

Sometimes being rational will get to you.

Oh dear.

Those bittersweet regrets.

Jerry,sure glad you had a big time!I've been wonderin' about you,good to know you busted a biggun' and are home safe.Did that boar smell anything like sausge pizza ?Everytime I smell sausage pizza it reminds me of boar hogs,smells just like em',but hell why wouldn't they?Thier made out of old boar hogs. Jim

No Jim,those javelina boar hogs smell more like a wet polecat that lives in a dirt cellar.Way nasty.I'll get my picture developed and posted when my picture poster has time.She's spending every other night taking care of her mother that's in very bad health.Thanks fellers for reading and responding to my hunting report.Maybe someday I'll have an Africa report,or maybe Argentina or New Zealand.Jerry

Jerry,

That was a great trip, and we're glad you're back with us. When you're with friends hunting, they are all good, but your trip sounds like a real special one.

As for the "guest" thing, this has been cropping up often here. The host often forgets who his "guests" are. I must have had a power surge on my line today, because when I got home the pc was shut down.

Sure enough, I had to log-in again. It ain't my cookies that are being erased, as I have my eraser set to save them for this domain. A lot of other cookies are best erased.

Good to have you back. Where was the hunt, besides over the border?

fritz

fritz,our lease is 35 miles up the river from Presidio,on the Texas side.This is Poncho Villa country.It's desert country with cactus and greasewood,but by gunther,it was greener than here in North Texas because they've had more rain than us.It frosted heavy while we were there,and with the ice storm and 10 degree weather that hit here while we were down there,it's all brown now.Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

We had that heavy frost here in S. Texas also, but it wasn't green here before it hit. We need rain, in the worst way. Today it drizzled all day, maybe .2" at the most.

Not exactly a frog strangler. But like the old UPS guy would say when I stopped his truck in town and asked if I had a shipment today---"Maybe tomorrow".

fritz