Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Maybe and just maybe the ammo shortages are ending

AzRednek

Just my personal opinion. Palmetto had 9MM and 38 Special on their website for a few days. A month ago when calibers like 223, 762 Commie and US, 9, 380, 45, 38 and 40 would be sold out with in 2-3 hours. Seeing that it was still in stock for a few days indicates to me the madness just might and I do mean “might” be slowing down. 

1 hour ago, FC said:

I got mad at Graf. I got an email saying 9mm available for 42c per rd. I got it in the cart twice, only to have it dump to zero!

I had a similar event on Palmetto’s website for 45 ACP. I clicked on add to cart but my cart showed a goose egg. I also had the four boxes of 38 Special reduced to, two. Hitting the back button and both were changed from add to cart to notify me when available. I noticed today Palmetto had 45 ACP Silver Tips for about a buck and a half per round. The Winchester Silver Tips are my favorite self defense handgun ammo but not at 1.50 per round. Any bad guys bum rushing my home will have to deal with FMJ’s !!

Since I’ve been watching various websites for ammo. Palmetto usually dumps ammo on Tuesday mornings. If you still need 9MM check their website early in the morning as it usually sells out fast. A month ago Palmetto’s ammo prices were fair and less than other online vendors. Not so much any more and the 29.99 50rd boxes of 9MM are no more. I’m still very puzzled why the brand names, Federal, Hornady, Remington, PMC and Winchester have seemed to disappear. Norma shows up occasionally and I’ve seen some Hornady 9 & 40 trickle in but it’s usually sold out before I checked the websites. 

Last week I picked up some revolvers from a local gunsmith. He claimed he bid on a thousand large pistol Winchester primers. When he checked the auction he said the high bid went up to $180. I know he’s hurting as he test fires nearly everything. He shot two, 6 rd groups in my 41 Mag, saved me the targets and hinted very strongly for some more 41 ammo. Showing me the box with only 9 rds left. He did a good job fixing the near impossible to open cylinder so I’m going to give him a couple dozen rounds. He also enlongated removing a tight spot in the forcing crown on my Ruger 45 Converible for 20 bucks. A gunsmith at my gun club said “I normally get a hundred but for you I’ll do it for 75”. 

• 5 months later...

I haven't bought ammo in decades, but I'll be glad when people stop asking me to load their brass.  I guess in 2 years we will see a bunch of lightly used or new/unboxed reloading equipment on the market.  I just hope the sellers don't expect to get out of it what they paid for it.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:24 PM, cowboybart said:

I haven't bought ammo in decades, but I'll be glad when people stop asking me to load their brass.  I guess in 2 years we will see a bunch of lightly used or new/unboxed reloading equipment on the market.  I just hope the sellers don't expect to get out of it what they paid for it.

Over the years I have had several friends ask me to load ammo for them. Years ago a neighbor had the nerve to bring by a bunch of scrap lead asking me to cast bullets for him. I’ve always countered with you can come over and use my equipment if you like. I’ve only had one person take me up on the offer. What he really wanted was to learn how and I didn’t mind helping him out. Another reloader had him convinced the only way to go was to invest over a thousand in top of the line Dillon equipment. After I showed him how easy it was to load with my RCBS single stage press. He ordered himself a low cost Lee kit for under a hundred.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Lee since the 90's Teachers are very far from rich and Lee was what I could afford. Still mostly use Lee as   it works.

It was very nice of you Az to teach and let a guy use your gear...

As for the  others, I would also have turned them away and perhaps not very politely. I have a supply of ammo, not as much as I once had, Doc was right.  But enough. I am ok for reloading but until things  get back to normal, I cut way back on the range time. I am NOT paying a buck a round.  After the 22  famine, when Mr Obama was in,  I saw the light. I made a point of picking up a box or two  of calibers I shot when I went to the store. Still I think the days of 100s of rounds of mil sup shooting are behind us. I saw a guy at a shoe years ago asking $70 fir a bando of 8mm turk. The same ammo we go for $6 Lord knows what they charge now...That is one way to sneak in gun control,,Sorry pal. the PC say,  the Constitution dont say any thing about ammo!!!!!!!

karl

Currently the price of 9MM has decreased considerably but other calibers I want like 45 ACP and Colt and 38 and 44 Special are ridiculous. With recent weather predictions of temps reaching as high as 120. I don’t see myself doing any shooting for a few months.