Military Firearm Restoration Corner

funny money

FC

“Today’s money is gone, so Congress is spending tomorrow’s money,” he said, noting that the country finds itself $27 trillion in debt today with no cuts, offsets, or prioritization in Congress. Rand Paul. I often don't agree with him, but he's nailing it lately. We're printing funny money, and we don't care! I dread what will happen if the dollar is realized to be worthless!

I think it's a crime to be giving aid to other countries in a "Covid" relief bill. Based on the condition of our economy I say "F" them. While we're at it they should be paying back what we have given them as aid in the past. 

This country need to stop "buying" our friends. Thier like a stray cat. If you give it food today, it will be back tomorrow for another free meal. We have enough stray cats in this country wanting free every thing. But I say "F" them also. This country needs to stop renting it's life style and pay as we go. I have always worked for what we have. I don't spend money I don't have. The credit cards are for emergencys. This country needs to get back to that frame of mind. Just my $.02.

It's too late to save the dollar.  It started being destroyed over 100 years ago, 1913, actually, and now, there's really no point in even taxing us, except to punish and control.  The Constitution specifically states that there will be no money besides gold or silver.  This is the post Constitutional era.

System is rigged. You want stuff for your town or city or state? How about a nice school book grant? Worth a few million.textbook are not cheap.

See your elected official.  But before he or she CAN help you, they haver to be on the right committee and that takes seniority .

The more senior your pol the more influence they have and the more money your area gets .

That is why we keep electioning the same people

karl

On 12/31/2020 at 5:02 PM, The Zen Master said:

Pure, unadulterated, stupidity.

My name is Karl, too. What are the chances that 3 Karl with a K's show up on he same forum?

Who is the third ?? I’m aware of Karlunity and Zen but not the third. For what it’s worth my queer as a three dollar bill neighbor is Karl with a K. 

I got my 600 "free" dollars yesterday.  I spent it all the day before.  I got a Howa Model 1500 Mini Varminter in 223, heavy barrel, threaded at Cabella's.  Picked up some scope mounts at the same time.  It uses Rem 700 mounts if you get the 2 piece.  Put a IJK 3-12x44 scope on it.  Made a sling from some Sportsmans Guide sourced surplus carrying straps and some swivels I had laying around, sewing them on with Grandma's hand crank Singer and some Swiss milsurp (Sportmans Guide again) nylon thread.

I needed a bobbin to load the thread onto.  All the ones around my machine had other stuff on them, upholstery thread in a couple colors, some Italian silk thread (SG again), etc.  I dug through my bag of accessories and found a bobbin with not too much of a regular thread on it.  Pulling it off to reuse the bobbin, I took off like 6 different kinds/colors of thread, in varying lengths of maybe 3 ft to 6 or 10 ft long.  I thought that was weird.  You could not really use it as a bobbin in the machine like that.  You would sew along a bit and then the bottom thread would be gone and you'd have to pull it all out and rethread the bottom. Then I got to thinking:  Oma got this machine for her wedding in the early 1930's.  It went through a depression and occupied Holland.  EVERYTHING had to be saved and conserved.  If you had a few feet of thread left on your spool, I would think that you wouldn't throw it away, but save it for small repairs, hand work like buttons/button holes, etc.  And what better way to save it than to just wind it on a bobbin?  Much smaller than keeping the whole spool with a few feet of thread on it.  I hope we never get to times like that again.  And that bobbin looks like it's made from nickel.  Putting it next to a modern Chinese made bobbin is like day in night in craftsmanship.  It has to be about 90 years old.

Speaking of old..I used to rebuild computers for the students  from old turn ins that parents gave me. I still prefer the older key boards as they have more bounce and and the older DVD drives are far stronger. Now, not all old  is better of course  but old is not all junk.  As to our hobby, I have a 1917 enfield with 1917 barrel that will  still do MOA from a rest.. Wonder what the M 4 or M -16 with original parts will do in 104 years?

karll 

Dr.Hess

If you consider weight of ammo and rate of fire and even the Corps is issuing scopes( agog) I think.

That is not too bad. Of course if they mean to fight in the wide open, they are going to have to find rifles with range. I read a report where a raghead with a  an old 303 was a problem at about 800 meters. M4 simply would not reach that far. Granted you can call in all sorts of fire on him, if you can get it and I understand there are also PC restrictions now. For example if called in air or arty may harm civvies? I hear they recalled the ole m 14 for that 

karl 

Yeah, the M4's do OK, from what I've read.  Worn out ones less so, of course.  An original M16 (A1, etc.) should have no trouble doing 3MOA, probably 2, with a scope and a good shooter.

I've also read that the sand people figured out the range of the 556 and stay outside of it and plink away.  The new rounds are supposed to even that field up. 

I watched an interesting documentary the other day.  Apache Warrior (2017).  It covers a group of Apache attack helicopters going into Bagdad the first time, 1991.  Even then, lots of PC stuff like don't shoot at them if they aren't shooting at you, etc.  Watch if it you get the chance.  Mostly covers a woman Captain, I think, "front seat" or the gunner.  The "back seat" was the pilot, typically a Warrant Officer.  They were getting shot to pieces and she was like "Can I shoot at them now?"  Only 3 flight video records were recovered.  My favorite line from the documentary:  "I try to kill something every day just to maintain proficiency."

OK, so here's my COVID-19 RIFLE!

Howa.thumb.jpg.11f3090c6a1522356ebd9ba394f9a8f3.jpg

They say they are sub-MOA out of the box.

Yes, made in Japan.  The Weatherby Vanguard models are virtually identical to the Howa Model 1500, mostly just stamped different from my understanding.  Before Christmas when I was looking at Cabella's, they had a Howa 1500 and a Weatherby Vanguard both in 223 right next to each other on the used rack and I compared them.  The stocks were a different color, and that was the only difference I could find.

From my understanding, Howa is Japan's gun maker, that is, they make the military rifles for Japan.  They make civilian rifles for the rest of the world (couldn't own one in Japan, of course) and sell them at a loss supplemented by the Japanese government just to make sure the company stays in business and working so Japan can have their own domestic source of rifles.

On 1/3/2021 at 6:02 AM, Dr.Hess said:

Yes, made in Japan.  The Weatherby Vanguard models are virtually identical to the Howa Model 1500, mostly just stamped different from my understanding.  Before Christmas when I was looking at Cabella's, they had a Howa 1500 and a Weatherby Vanguard both in 223 right next to each other on the used rack and I compared them.  The stocks were a different color, and that was the only difference I could find.

From my understanding, Howa is Japan's gun maker, that is, they make the military rifles for Japan.  They make civilian rifles for the rest of the world (couldn't own one in Japan, of course) and sell them at a loss supplemented by the Japanese government just to make sure the company stays in business and working so Japan can have their own domestic source of rifles.

Close friend of mine has a Smith & Wesson 270 made by Howa. He claimed it was over 150 cheaper than a 06 Vanguard from the same dealer. His wood stock is pretty much plain Jane and he said the Vanguard’s was fancy and came with a Weatherby marked leather sling.

I don’t know if it’s Howa but the clones of older Winchesters from Japan are some of the highest quality (and price) rifles made. I remember growing up in the 50 and 60’s. Made in Japan signified junk until they flooded the USA with transistor radios. 

My X got it but our collection of trinkets marked OJ or occupied Japan was worth some bucks. She collected most of it from yard sales and swap meets paying 25-50 cents each.

I remember "Made in Japan" being junk too.  Times change.  It's even mentioned in "Back to the Future."  Howa made some of the Arisakas, supposedly the higher quality ones.

I put a few rounds through it this evening.  Just mostly function testing.  It was getting dark and I don't have my 50 yard range set up.  Anyway, just shooting off hand, it recoiled about like a 22LR.  Really sweet shooting, and the action is VERY smooth.

BTW, the reason the Japanese went from a bad to a good reputation for the quality of their stuff is due to an American.  We studied it in one of my business classes.  He had the idea of making sure each part of an assembly was good quality, and to judge it statistically from sampling the parts.  If they didn't meet the quality, the whole batch would go back to the supplier or be otherwise rejected.  He tried to convince US manufacturers to use his methods but was totally rejected.  He went to Japan and they thought it was a great idea and wholeheartedly embraced it.  Quality went from bad to best just like that.

yep we just were the place where you had to get stuff. Europe and Asia were not yet rebuilt from WWll and I think we just got spoiled, I recall reading  of a women who had a mixer that her mother had gotten and it still worked. She wrote the firm in praise, They sent her an "up to date" one in exchange....to take the old one apart and learn what they did WRONG. "planned obsolescence"  I know of JMK but I think history proved him wrong

We did ourselves in

karl