Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Okay so a change in plans.

rdm1962

For several years now I've had the parts to build a 30-06. I have a really nice BZN (Styer)1941 receiver. It's drilled and tapped and it's had the stripper clip hump removed. I had the bolt handle welded up by Tanglewood. I have all the other parts needed except for a stock including a brand new 30-06 Green Mountain barrel. 

The problem I now have is I own 8 other 30-06s before I would even start this build. I don't have a shortage of other bolt actions ranging from 243 all the way up to 35 Whalen. So should I just go ahead and sell off 30-06 barrel and look for something else. The 7x57 I have on the bench now is almost finished just doing the checkering on the stock. The only area I could add a caliber in would be above the 35 Whalen size. And I don't know if I want to get deep into a 9.3x 62 or something along those lines. 

Any ideas guys?

I dunno.  If you have 8 of something, you kinda don't need another, unless you want it or build it different or special or something.  I have thought about a 375 H&H Mag.  I mean, I have absolutely zero use for one.  So, it's kinda like a Desert Eagle to me.

I only had a Browning A-bolt when I planned to build it. I've since got an 1903a3, 1917 Eddystone, M-1 Garand, and a Remington 740. I fell into a great deal on another ANIB A-bolt a few years ago. Yesterday my uncle gave me his ANIB pre64 model 70 and a Remington 760 also ANIB. So I think I have the 30-06 covered pretty well.

I'm not a horder of 06's but it's worked out that way. 

Well, while you have 30-06 covered, I only see 2 that would be somewhat similar to your potential build.  The A bolt and the Model 70, and you probably wouldn't want to take a like new pre-64 model 70 out in the woods.  It's sort of worth too much to use as a "working gun."  The '03 and 1917 are more of the collectable class as well, and the semi-autos are just different.  So, really, you have the A bolt as a bolt action 30-06 to go beat on stuff with.  I say build it 30-06, unless there's some other caliber you want more.

Ralph I hope you get some great ideas cause I’m kind of in the same boat.

I’ve got several actions that are D&T , trued up polished and the bolts done, ready to go.

My biggest problem is fear of getting something to feed so I tried 6MM, 257 Bob,7x57, 6.5 X55 and 25-06 in them all before starting on them and what fed best in a particular action was what I planned to build. But I already have at least one of each. So the excitement is not what it was , wish I could decide what I want now.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:09 AM, Trail Rated said:

I have a thing for classic hunting calibers, so I vote for a conversion to 9.3x62. Last year I bought a sporterized FN Mauser, already converted to .30-06 by Columbia, even though it’s my third .30-06, and my intention is to rebarrel it to 9.3x62. 

I thought the Colombian FN Mausers came factory chambered in 06 I never knew they were converted. Does anybody know what the original caliber was?? Likely along the lines of 765 or 7X57.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:10 PM, AzRednek said:

I thought the Colombian FN Mausers came factory chambered in 06 I never knew they were converted. Does anybody know what the original caliber was?? Likely along the lines of 765 or 7X57.

As I understand it, there were some contract rifles direct from FN in .30-06, but Columbia converted their existing 7x57 Mausers to .30-06 in the 1950s. The converted ones are stamped R Famage for Reformado Fabrica de Materials de Guerra. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I've been doing some looking and studying of options. I can't really do another 30-06, I already have plenty.  While I think a 9.3x62, 6.5 Rem. Mag or 264 Win Mag would be cool. Reloading components will be a pain and expensive to get. The only modern caliber I don't have is the 270 Win.  I have a 25-06, 6.5 Creedmore & 280 Rem. so I never needed a 270. However this is my last receiver and I don't know how long it will take to get completed. I might as well make it something I don't really have a rush to get. Who knows I might actually like this round when I get it done. I'm going to finish the 7x57 on the bench and then look for a 270 barrel.  

A lot of people really like the 270.  I have no experience with it.  Then, I don't hunt either, outside of the GWoS, and something in the 270/30-06 class is a bit much on squirrel.  Actually, I wouldn't mind it, but I think the wife would biatch with one of those cartridges going off out the window while she sits on the couch 15 ft away playing her game.  I get away with 22LR. And, Meisje wouldn't be able to do her job in body recovery in the GWoS, as there would be no bodies to recover.  And how would I keep count of Enemy KIA if there were no bodies?

13 hours ago, rdm1962 said:

Ok so I've been doing some looking and studying of options. I can't really do another 30-06, I already have plenty.  While I think a 9.3x62, 6.5 Rem. Mag or 264 Win Mag would be cool. Reloading components will be a pain and expensive to get. The only modern caliber I don't have is the 270 Win.  I have a 25-06, 6.5 Creedmore & 280 Rem. so I never needed a 270. However this is my last receiver and I don't know how long it will take to get completed. I might as well make it something I don't really have a rush to get. Who knows I might actually like this round when I get it done. I'm going to finish the 7x57 on the bench and then look for a 270 barrel.  

How bout 284 Winchester??

2 hours ago, rdm1962 said:

A 284 Win is 280 Rem light. Reloading components aren't that very available either. 

Light???? Check again... but... if ya gots plenty of 7mm stuff... I get it.. I simply do Not care for any 7mm except the 7X57 personally..

I was planning the 284 around the Shorter [Intermediate] M48... but.. I haven't seen any I would spend the $$ on expected in todays screwed up World!!!

20 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

A lot of people really like the 270.  I have no experience with it.  Then, I don't hunt either, outside of the GWoS, and something in the 270/30-06 class is a bit much on squirrel.  Actually, I wouldn't mind it, but I think the wife would biatch with one of those cartridges going off out the window while she sits on the couch 15 ft away playing her game.  I get away with 22LR. And, Meisje wouldn't be able to do her job in body recovery in the GWoS, as there would be no bodies to recover.  And how would I keep count of Enemy KIA if there were no bodies?

During my hey-day of rifle projects I avoided the odd ball metric calibers. I preferred large bore like 35 Whelan , 338/06, 338 Win Mag and a 458 Winnie. I planned on a 1917 Enfield 375 H&H after accumulating everything except the barrel but never got started. 

Doc years ago a shooting bud and I planned a squirrel hunt. We down loaded 223’s, if my memory is correct I loaded 55 gr slugs on top of 10 grs of Unique or HERCO. My friend used 2400. My hand loads were quiet not much louder than a 22’s crack and we had to manually operate our AR’s. The hunt never happened but I’m sure there was enough oomph to drive a 55 gr bullet through a squirrel. Both our hand loads penetrated but did not go completely through a barrel cactus. 

According to a gun sales clerk at Sportsman’s Warehouse. The popularity of the 270 took a nose dive after the passing of Jack O’Conner. O’Conner was editor of Field and Stream and hunted all over the planet with his 270. The 270’s bullet with the high velocity was very explosive. It was ideal for deer but not recommended by some gun rag authors for Elk as the explosive bullet did not penetrate deeply enough. Sierra does/did make 160+ round nose bullet that was supposed to penetrate deeply but I never saw it factory loaded. I used my Remington 270 pump to demonstrate to kids and new shooters how deadly guns are. I would shoot a watermelon and it would literally explode. I took a Brit tourist shooting that never fired a gun in his life. After the demo it was easy to tell he was frightened and he declined to shoot it. He quickly changed his mind about shooting when my buddy pulled out his British Enfield. Bet he shot the Enfield at least 50 times until the ammo ran out but he was still afraid of the 270.

I love my 270! I've made a couple one shot kills on 350-400 lb  caribou with it.

But I've done the same with a 6.5x55.  I would use a 270 on any North american big game except maybe the big bears, but if that's all you have---.

Shot placement is the important thing.