Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turk 1903 (I reckon)

Horsefly

I have a Turk non-K.Kale that is,according to pictures in Robert Ball’s Mauser book,a 1903. Feels like a 93 or 95. As good as the book is it doesn’t make clear what action it is. Above where magazine sets against action in front of bolt handle is a slot about 1 1/2” long and maybe 3/16” wide. Any info on rifle and the slot. 

Should cock on closing.  That's a small ring from one of their early purchases.  The slot is there left over after the conversion.  Before, it was a device to disable the magazine so it would only work single shot, you know to "save ammunition" like the US 1903 and Krag had.  Probably was originally 7.65x53, and they rebarreled them to 8mm during the conversion.

So it’s just a reworked 93 ? Be ok for .257 Roberts ? Don’t know why it’s so confusing to for me. I did notice the flat end on the bolt that ‘95 done away with. That mag block is interesting. It’s missing just has slot. Nice tight clean action but have hard time spending way over 100 bucks for barrel to put on a 93 action. It’s got a very nice barrel on it but I’m not shooting 8MM in a 93. Thank you Dr.Hess. After your message I re-read Ball book and understood what I was reading. Thanks again Dr. 

Yeah, it's a 93.  It would be fine for a 257 Roberts.  Personally, I have no problem shooting 8mm in a 93, and I have done so in a 93 Turk that is probably identical to what you have.  I would say that was the fastest handling bolt action I have ever shot, not that I've shot a lot of them.  But with the straight bolt on that one, it just flew.  And it's a good German made receiver, too, and antique.  If you are going to change it up/sporterize it, I'll trade you that Swedish bolt I have for the stock.  I have a small ring Turk barreled action, no stock.  It was on sale, what can I say?  Like my wife asks, "Why did you buy that?"  "It was on sale."  "Oh."

My incomplete 257 Bob is built on a Kkale. I did a terrible job with the mag assy and have to single shot it. I’ve put apx 30-40 rds including a box of factory +P. Despite needing to adjust the irons and the cheapie A&B barrel it’s a good shooter. Fly I might and let me emphasize “might” have a stock for it but I think it’s for a 98 action. Let me know if interested. It will take some digging to get to it and I’m not very mobile currently. I just did another round of Chemo Monday. I can likely get to it early next week. 

Hey Az, if that stock is for the small ring Turk, I'm interested.  I have some large ring sporter stocks laying around, but nothing for a small ring, and I have a couple small ring projects including an all matching Turk.  Just if the stock jumps out at you, don't go spending any time looking for it, and REST UP.