Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Plumbers putty

Horsefly

I did once a long time ago like early 70’s.  Fine if you have it on hand but kid’s molding clay is easier to use and costs less. Last time I used clay cost me lass than a buck at Kmart. I read somewhere on the net somebody made a thick paste of bread and water successfully. He called it home made Playdoe. 

I've just used the clay.  It was cheap.  Don't recall if I got it at Walmart or Hobby Lobby.  If you use the Devcon putty, you hardly need any of it at all, as it won't run.  It smooths on like peanut butter.  Just put some clay anywhere that the stuff might "grab" the action, like rust pits, etc.  That putty is fantastic.  I can find the part number if you are interested.

I went to ChinaMart,Hobby Lobby, and Michael’s 2 days ago and no clay to be had. Empty shelves. I’ll look up the Deacon number. I have Acraglas gel that’s probably 20 years old but still squishy. My grandkids live next door. Bet they have Playdoo. 

Dr., The Deacon putty I found is from 50.00 up to 80.00. Think that’s the one I need ? I have Acraglas for a beater 4wheeler rifle I’m putting together and need dye. What could I use ? The rifle is a Yugo 48, 95 small ring stock,Swede trigger guard,CZ24 buttstock sling ring ground down and reshaped for quick detach swivels. The front swivel is a 1909 Argentine front sight band. Trying to use up all stuff in junk drawer. 

You want the Devcon 10110,

https://smile.amazon.com/Devcon-10110-Plastic-Steel-Putty/dp/B00IEHNZM6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1TUN6JUUA7FZG

not the 5 minute stuff.  Takes overnight to cure.  I weigh it on my powder scale to get the mixture correct. As for a dye, you want an epoxy dye.  I bought some on ebay but haven't got a chance to use it yet.  It is cheap and just a few drop is all it takes.  For clamping it in the stock, I use surgical tubing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TF1WOY/

Stretch it and wrap the action into the stock.

The Brownells Acraglass is good stuff, but harder to work with.  Too runny, so you have to build dams, etc.  The Devcon 10110 mixes up and goes on like peanut butter.  Stays put. For a budget build, I'd use what you have, but that Devcon stuff is really good.  Oh, and Kiwi neutral shoe polish works GREAT as a release agent.  Smear that all over the metal (after filling the voids with whatever putty/clay you decide to use) and I add a squirt of oil just for good measure.  Comes right out.