Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Small ring mauser hard receiver.

Racepres

First for me... an old, decrepit, Spanish '93 I am D&T for scope mounts. Front ring was typical, got it done. Rear Bridge??? Hardest I have encountered... not that I have done that many... but.. I thought Spanish Mausers were suspected to be "Soft"???? Not this one. I was able to get a "mark" like a Prick punch spot, for the drill to start in... using a Carbide "Burr" for my die Grinder.. HSS? no Chance... Cobalt? Left a very small mark!!! Order Carbide??? I do Not wish to break the torch out and anneal the spot. But, it occurs to me that if I don't, I will Never be able to Tap it!!!

Just Venting... I thought 2021 would be "Easier"

I’ve found several that were so hard on the rear bridge that regular carbide/cobalt bits would not touch them even after grinding way deeper than normal surface hardening goes. I ordered a special bit Brownells advertised just for this problem, it looks more like a square sided easy-out than a drill bit. Been 15 or more years ago and it was $20.00-$30.00 then , don’t know if they still offer it or not , and I was convinced it was not going to work especially after seeing it didn’t even look like a traditional bit but it worked.

Good luck

Thanks to both of ya's

I did grind a "flat" spot to start as I couldn't Center punch it.. then broke out the Carbide "burr". actually what I consider fairly deep!!!

as said... don't know how I will Tap the Darn thing!!! Prolly may as well attack it with Torch to Anneal!!! New territory!!!

I was able to tap mine but I used carbon taps it took 3 or 4 per hole to get it done and I broke more than one but the carbon taps were easy to shatter and clean out .

Sounds scarier than it was it really wasn’t near as big a deal as I thought and for me personally I was just more comfortable doing it without heat, I usually make an ass out of stuff in a big way with heat.

1 hour ago, manureman said:

I usually make an ass out of stuff in a big way with heat.

I resemble that remark... yet, I do Not like broken taps and such like.. Thinking I will rummage thru the old carbide Die grinder "stuff" looking for a Very small tip!!!

before the Hot Wrench comes out!! Thinking with my smallest tip, and smallest "flame" maybe I can just hold a very small "spot"

Hell... This is Not like an irreplaceable heirloom... This was a very...Extremely,  sad Spanish '93, and it is destined to become an Ugly 300 Savage!!!

Failure Means I cast an eye upon another in the "rack" .. tho, I do Not wish to tear it apart... for odd reasons.. prolly because, like some others Not in Line, it is close enough to original and Serviceable... Actually, right now,  a 38 Turk is closer to the "knife"

17 hours ago, manureman said:

Get her did ! Glad it worked out. 300 Savage and a small ring go together like cobbler and ice cream.

the pinpoint [sort of] annealing worked... But.. I really Dislike the 300 savage!! I'm tempted to get a reamer and lengthen the neck...just because I love cast boolits!!!!!

If I come up with another donor small ring, or a large ring in sad state... ie borderline unsafe... it will be the next 35 Remington!! I can't think of a round producing lower pressures...