Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hog hunt last month

Horsefly

Yep. Henry .308. My brother took his wife to a blind in my peecup with my Husqvarna in case. About 2 hrs later I decided to try and drive hogs towards them on 4wheeler and only rifle in camp was 14 yr. old nephews Henry and 3 shells. Drove up on what I thought was dead angus calf in tall grass, turned around to get tick tag number but turned out to be the hog. I wasn’t 8ft. from it when first drove by and went back close enough I was looking for his head when he exploded outta grass like a quail. Henry with open sight done a good job. 

Most hogs we shoot big boars so,yep,coyote bait. We clean younger pigs under 100lbs. I won’t waste my time on anything with nuts. We shoot sandhill cranes there too. Not as good as quail but I think better than wild turkey and dove. 1st 2 years gave them to nephew from Colorado. He cooked some at lease last fall and made fajitas. Won’t be getting any more of my cranes. They just don’t look like something you should shoot or eat. Nephew calls them rib-eye from the sky. They come over camp by the 1,000’s at daylight and late evening. They roost west of us in huge valley and feed to the East in wheat fields. Farmers hate them. 

• 1 month later...

That’s the results I’m after with a Yugo still in 8MM I put in a Sweded stock someone cut down. Put a Williams fire sight on front. Rifle looks a lot like yours. Stock has big crack in formed that I pinned and epoxied. Gonna Real Tree Gun wrap it to his crack. I call it my wheeler rifle that will spend its life in gun rack on front of 4wheeler. Will post pic tomorrow before I put wrap on. I like the small ring stocks with straight grips. Congrats on a great hog thumper !  

This is my Frankinrifle put together outta junk drawer. Got to take wife on travel trailer trip this week and once out of the way making a long hog hunt with the rifle at lease south of Abilene. 

E61254E2-CBBB-430F-90D8-567D2AB40C66.jpeg