Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1908 Brazilian

Horsefly

Somehow in the past 30 years I acquired a 1908 that’s been lightly sportered just enough not to be worshiped by collectors that hate us repurposer’s. A beautiful job was done on bolt and d/t’d for scope. All numbers match and action is slick as greased owl s_ _ _t. Under the wood is the typical So. American nightmare of corrosion. The action cleaned up acceptable for me but the barrel is way rough but the inside looks new. Beautiful shiney deep rifling. With small ring barrels being so tough to find without full blown retail prices, what would you cats think of cutting barrel at 21-22” and filing pits then wrapping in camo heat shrink? What about black Parkerizing? Would Parkerize cover pit repairs? The pits look terrible but I’m not concerned at all about the barrel being safe. I would be out money for a stock and metal finish. I need y’all’s thoughts on what you’d do. 

Filling the pits with some type of epoxy or liquid aluminum kind of adhesive stuff, sanding smooth, then coating with one of the new super finishes would make it come out looking pretty good.  Even some Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy paint in black (only available in black or white) sprayed on would look good and be very durable.

The appliance paint is a cotton-picken good idea. Wonder how it’d look hit with 1,000 or 1,200 grit paper to knock off the super bright shine. I’ve used appliance paint and know for sure how tough it is. Way good idea. Headed to Lowe’s.