Military Firearm Restoration Corner

270 wont feed well...22-250 is a go!!!

Racepres

How very odd... me Thinks..

Current K.Kale Project simply refuses to feed 270's well... Might bee to long OAL??

Just for grins I tried 22-250... feed like no ones Business!!! Flawless!!!

Maybe I will recontour that Bull Barrel!!!  Jeeze...

Oh... they "can" feed... right side is fair.. left side hangs about half way..Like the rear end is not coming up soon enough!!

Maybe dragging on the bolt face.. Probably not related to OAL, as the bullet don't seem to be driving into case, even when bullet pull is Intentionally decreased.

Aggravating is all.. Especially when the 22-250 feeds like Water...

Guess I will go real slow and visually compare the 22-250 feed to the 270 feed...get a better idea WTH is goin on!!

Sure seems odd!!!

Maybe while I'm comparing 22-250 to 270 I will check stuff like 7X57, 8X57, -06...all that jazz... even may try 6mm-06 and see..

Just needed an Urging maybe!!!

Thanks

10 hours ago, rdm1962 said:

I have to watch the OCL on my 280 rem and 35 Whalen. Their built on K Kakes Turks. They can hang up in the magazine if the case trim length or bullet isn't seated to desired depth. 

Interesting, Thanks, I will experiment!

Maybe today... Once I dig out a bit more...

2 hours ago, donmarkey said:

Sounds like the rail needs adjusting. Check the angle, is it tipping up too early? If it is it can bind in the extractor. Make sure the ex tractor isn’t too tight too.

Relieved some Extractor tension.. then replaced extractor.. it acts like it will come into it... But... I am Not excited about 270 anyway... May change just Because..

BTW If anything, the longer Ctg's seem to come "up" too late.. at the Rear, anyway, kinda hanging, half way up the bolt face, and too much angle to the Chamber... if that makes sense...

It is probably to bumps in the rail. They need to be moved forward to allow the whole case to rise instead of the front only. The shoulder of the round hits the bump and the case front rises before the bullet enters the chamber. Load some 7x57 and watch how it reacts. Then adjust the bumps forward until it mimicks it. One reason I like to use 1909s for builds. The rails are tapered with no bumps. Easier to get to feed. I like the 270. That and the 30-06 are my go to hunting rounds. 

15 hours ago, manureman said:

I’ve been thinking the same thing as Ken

21 hours ago, ken98k said:

If I had a k kale the fed 22-250's flawlessly I would rebarrel it to 22-250!

Leaning that way, me own self..More and More

• 2 months later...

I have a P-17 that didn't want to feed 308Norma after a rechambering.  I noticed a commercial M98 fellower had the edge"broken" ( smoothed, rounded) I did the same, and it worked. My FN Mauser 338-06 doesn't feed well with a single but is fine with two or more. I'm thinking the spring needs more tension.  Hope these helps

Prolly help... but...Not being a fan of .270 anyway.. Gone from my world!!!

Actually I wish that K.Kale was a large ring, as I have one really nice bore 8X57 barrel... and the 8X57 is No Slouch!!!

I thank everyone for the input

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, Racepres said:

Prolly help... but...Not being a fan of .270 anyway.. Gone from my world!!!

Actually I wish that K.Kale was a large ring, as I have one really nice bore 8X57 barrel... and the 8X57 is No Slouch!!!

I thank everyone for the input

To stray some what from the subject at hand. Has anybody built or considered the so called Poor Man’s magnum. It was popular in the 50 and 60’s. Surplus 8MM Mausers had the chamber reamed and bolt face opened to handle 338 Mag brass necked down or 308 Norma necked up to 8MM. I think but could be wrong the Wildcat 8MM Poorman’s Magnum started with famed gunsmith P O Ackley. One could have a low cost magnum rifle without the cost of a new barrel hence the Poorman monicker. I briefly considered it in the early 70’s when I was afflicted with Magnumitus but lost interest as Ackley wouldn’t do the job on my Spanish Oviedo 98.. Best I recall Ackley wouldn’t do anything on the Spanish 98’s unless he heat treated the receiver. 

I agree the 8X57 is no slouch and the mag version is bad assed but I wonder if anybody manufactures an 8MM bullet that could handle the velocity. The short lived 8MM Remington Magnum was factory loaded with a heavy bullet that might or might not still be available. I’m not sure if the 8 MM Remington Mag ammo is still available. 

• 2 months later...

I just finished a K.Kale with .270 REM barrel that wouldn’t feed past 2nd shell. Back end of shell wouldn’t raise. I used a FN hinged floor plate that was  maybe 1/32” longer on front than military. After many hours of head-scratching I discovered the ramp hanging over the mag box and tips of bullets were hanging. Also the bullets on left side were hanging in the corner before aligning up on the ramp. 10 minutes of file work and polishing and chambers as well as any rifle I own. I felt like I had just finished building a house when I ran a full magazine of shells through it smoothly. If it hadn’t been for you cats talking back and forth about the 22-250 and .270 problems in the Turk I would have givin up.