Military Firearm Restoration Corner

44Mag SBH woes

Racepres

With the Times what they are. I acquired a Box of Unknown Mfg. Commercial cast, 240gr bevel base, SWC..

Problem... boolits sized .430. But, Like Most Blackhawks, My Cylinder throats are .431, and Bore is Smaller, mine at .4298 = Leaded forcing cone, and beginning of rifling!!

Even with fairly mild loadings. Tried a fairly stout load of 2400 too... Bad idea.

Solution, remove "wax" lube, use custom gas check seater to put checks on the bevel base, then size/relube with .431 Sizer, in the old #45!!!

Not a perfect solution... but if any "streaking" after that, I loaded some atop a Starting [actually a bit less] load of Unique, topped with Corn Meal!!! Yea, I seem to have run out of COW!!!

Then BB-SWC seated and Crimped, compressing the whole mess slightly. In My Guns. this nearly Always Shoots the Gun Clean!!! YMMV. And Accuracy is Pretty Darn Good!!!

Just Thought I would Share.

BTW the COW [or Corn Meal in this case] came to me because I have been "scrubbing" a not too bad 8mm Mauser barrel, with this method!!!

Just kinda Bored and thought I would Share

And yes, I generally Cast my Own, and run them thru the .431 sizer/lubricator. No Problems then!!! Couldn't pass on these tho..$$$

Rambling Over..... Carry-On