Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Workshop Woes

Hi there, it's been a long while since I posted or even visited . 

After I drink my morning coffee, I'll  go back to work on a  1930s Turk,  but before that I'm going to have to sharpen some chisels. A lot.   The old problem of fixing the tool or machine before you use it. Which is what I'm moaning  about.  I had picked up a Model 98 stock at a gunshow, a real over the top Weatherby style someone had made. A lot of work had gone into it, but it was pretty offensive to my eyes. They hurt looking at it.  But with lots of wood, so that can be fixed.  But fitting the inlet was going to take some doing. That's where the chisels will come in.  I have three or four sets of those small carving chisels that I have picked up at fleamarkets. All are either dull or never been sharpened. Chisels come from the factory unsharpened, just roughly shaped. I use Japanese ceramic waterstones and Lee Valley's green crayon.  Oh well

Years ago, I bought a set of knife sharpening wheels, the paper kind, at a gunshow, then a Harbor Freight 8" grinder to mount them on.  Once the basic shape is worked out, that and some rouge will put a razor edge on anything.