Military Firearm Restoration Corner

rounds downrange

montea6b

Took my 30-06 VZ-24 to the range today for it's first firing. Functioned flawlessly. A little dissapointed in the accuracy. Groups about the size of a hand span at 100yds. Plan on bedding the action yet, and I think the right side of the stock forearm may be touching a little. Photos to follow...

Remind us again about the details of the rifle? Got pics? Forged or welded bolt? Is bolt coming fuly to rest as it should? This is one of the most common errors leading to inaccuracy in sported mausers.

Don't get too discouraged about the accuracy yet. Like you say, it could be bedding or the like. Or, you just need a new load.

My first soup to nuts project, a .308 wouldn't do better than 2" with any of my handloads. Then I tried a box of Hornady lite magnum ammo and got consistent 1" groups. Maybe I'm a poor handloader? laugh.gif

On the other hand, the .30-06 project I built for my Dad on a Turk M38 action with Rem 700 takeoff barrel shot 1" on it's first outing with Winchester ammo.

Here's some old shots of what it looked like last December: (not great pictures...)

user posted image

Here's the other side:

user posted image

I've got some fresher photos, but they're still on the camera and I need my laptop to get at 'em. (It's at work)

Since these pictures it's been refitted with a Chapman safety, barrel actually torqued on and chambered, fitted with scope, and 95% checkered. I've been building the full story, warts and all, on a web page and when I get it updated I'll load it and post a link.