Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Remove charger hump on K.Kale

Horsefly

There used to be a guy from Texas on here that did some real nice work. As I recall some of his post's showed a home machine shop he was building. Wish I cold recall his name.

Yep, I remember that too. I think he was down in South Texas near Kingsville. That was several years ago. Think he had Spanish handle. I think I can do it just freak out thinking of getting scope mounts out of alignment. Ken,what do you think about grinding down a 2 piece mount to fit hump ? Gotta figure out what I’m going to do in case I ever find a Swede action. 

I do it with a Dremel and files. Lots of work. You have to be careful, measuring with a caliper as you go. 

I think I have a set of Redfield 2 peice mounts. The rear made to sit over the charging hump. You can have them if you want them. Ralph

Thanks for the offer Ralph. Really don’t know what route I’m taking yet but sure will keep you in mind. 1st Don sends me a set of sights now your offer is way uncommon kindness for nowadays. If you consider a .308 I’m your huckleberry. Got a barrel new large ring I’ve had for years. Blued. 

18 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Yep, I remember that too. I think he was down in South Texas near Kingsville. That was several years ago. Think he had Spanish handle. I think I can do it just freak out thinking of getting scope mounts out of alignment. Ken,what do you think about grinding down a 2 piece mount to fit hump ? Gotta figure out what I’m going to do in case I ever find a Swede action. 

Not sure about grinding a mount, I've never had to do that. I have had to use shims between the rear mount and receiver.

On 3/25/2021 at 4:57 PM, Horsefly said:

Ken,it was Rojelio that was in South Texas. 

Yup!! That was the guy! :)

He and one of his friend posted here for a while. Both of them did some very good rifle work.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Horsefly said:

Other than needing a new Chuck it does the job for me. 

Brownells sells a fixture to hold the receiver mandrel to allow grinding. I use something a little more technical and in the surface grinder. But take a look and get some ideas. A cup wheel in the drill press is a makeshift surface grinder.