Military Firearm Restoration Corner

22RF alternative

Racepres

No, I do Not post Much, But had to share my 22RF alternative. With the current state of price, vs availability of 22rf ammo. I need to keep my young Grandson shooting.. Reactive 22RF targets.. Welp. by Accident.. I have a 1916/m93 Mauser with a short 300 Savage barrel on it. Essentially useless, however you look at it...and since I shoot 99% cast projectiles... this one is little used. Revelation!!! Prime and charge with 3.0 gr of Red Dot [still available at our Sporting goods stores at about $26 to $30, a pound, and cheaper as "Promo"] a then stick a 0 Buckshot Ball in the neck. Hint, if you seat with something "flat" like a 44 Mag seater stem, you can get very Consistent Loads. Dip the exposed ball end, in LLA, and have more fun than I have had, in a very long time!!! Best Part.. my particular buckshot weighs up at 43Grains...and out of My Mauser... achieves 1200 FPS even!!! Prints very nice Groups Indeed... a Plus!!!

Pretty much... 22RF NO?

Yes... Bigger Hole in Paper, and very satisfying "slap" on Steel

HTH someone... I am having a blast!!!!

There is no powder at all around here.

However, I have been loading a 55(ish) grain cast bullet, powder coated, over 7.5 GR of Unique in a 223 in my bolt action Howa and it is a blast to shoot.  2000 FPS and laser beam accurate.

12 minutes ago, Dr.Hess said:

There is no powder at all around here.

However, I have been loading a 55(ish) grain cast bullet, powder coated, over 7.5 GR of Unique in a 223 in my bolt action Howa and it is a blast to shoot.  2000 FPS and laser beam accurate.

Been doing a 55 [or so] gr cast over about 8 gr of Unique in my 222 Contender ...forever... love it...  Certainly hotter than 22rf tho. I do Not wish to damage our reactive targets...and so.... 22RF ballistics are the Goal!!

We can obtain some powders here and there.. Primers???? Not so Much. and when primers come available... they only have what I do Not need... I refuse to fuel the Fire by purchasing stuff that I do Not Need... Like Last couple of Scenarios... this too shall pass... remember toilet paper???? Sheesh... I hope some A-Hole is Eating his hoarded TP right now!!!!

Yeah, my 223 load is certainly hotter than 22LR.  Probably about 4x the energy of a 22LR.  I shoot it at my knock down/reset targets about 33 yards away.  It sort of dents the rather thick steel.  Definetely leaves a mark.  The square targets knock down and stay down, then you shoot the round one to reset them all.  It only knocks the square ones down to stick if you hit them towards the top of the target.  Hit them with a 45, 44 MAG, 300BO, etc., anywhere and they just go right down and stay down.  It's a fun shoot. Not counting component replacement costs, they only run me about 3 cents for the primer and about 3 cents for powder.  Don't really count the powder coating costs, and 55 GR of lead is "practically free" compared to a 230GR sub sonic 300BO.

12 minutes ago, Dr.Hess said:

Yeah, my 223 load is certainly hotter than 22LR.  Probably about 4x the energy of a 22LR.  I shoot it at my knock down/reset targets about 33 yards away.  It sort of dents the rather thick steel.  Definetely leaves a mark.  The square targets knock down and stay down, then you shoot the round one to reset them all.  It only knocks the square ones down to stick if you hit them towards the top of the target.  Hit them with a 45, 44 MAG, 300BO, etc., anywhere and they just go right down and stay down.  It's a fun shoot. Not counting component replacement costs, they only run me about 3 cents for the primer and about 3 cents for powder.  Don't really count the powder coating costs, and 55 GR of lead is "practically free" compared to a 230GR sub sonic 300BO.

BO?? That Blackout my son talks of??? the 300 Whisper I believe?? I gots one... but, mine is called a 7.62X 39

Anyway... I was just Bragging about my newfound ability to Mimic 22rf out of a Neglected piece of iron!!! The Grandson thinks I'm "All That" so... I'll take that!

Yeah, 300 Blackout, or 300 AAC Blackout is the official name.  The 300 Whisper is "almost" the same.  For all practical purposes, it is the same, but AAC took the wildcat and made it SAAMI and not a wildcat.

Your 22RF "big bore" rifle load is very cool. And to me, the super cool part is that it shoots accurately with that. 

39 minutes ago, Dr.Hess said:

Yeah, 300 Blackout, or 300 AAC Blackout is the official name.  The 300 Whisper is "almost" the same.  For all practical purposes, it is the same, but AAC took the wildcat and made it SAAMI and not a wildcat.

Your 22RF "big bore" rifle load is very cool. And to me, the super cool part is that it shoots accurately with that. 

It shoots Surprisingly well.. I was Pleasantly Surprised with All of the results..