Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Adams & Bennet Barrels

roscoedoh

Gents,

I have a little birthday money, an unused action, and I see the Adams and Bennet barrels are on sale.

Has the quality of these barrels gone up any? I mean to ask are they still rough inside and foul quickly or have many of the QC issues resolved themselves since they first came on the market?

I know that many don't like A&B and never will. I also know that many guys have had good luck with them. I don't expect A&B to ever be on par with my LW, but for $80, I'm having a hard time talking myself out of it... I may have to purchase a Christmas present for myself. biggrin.gif (After I take care of everyone else of course!)

What's the feedback on these barrels today?

Thanks,

Jason

Our new member Mark Skaggs believes that the quality is much improved. My issue is still that they are threaded with 60 degree threads while your receiver is threaded 55 degree. Some say it is fine once snugged up. I say you are simply settling.

My take, they would be best used on a Turk 98 action where you can rethread them properly with SR threads.

Let me also say that for $80 for a bbl & stock. You can't be too disappointed. If you are looking for an inexpensive field gun this is probably a decent way to go. What caliber are you thinking?

A friend calle dme after getting the flier and told me he ordered up a couple of barrels. Wants me to rethread them to fit a couple of Turks he bought. A 1903 and an M38/. The .338-06 will go on the M38 and the 7x57 will go on the 1903.

Z,

I'm contemplating building that cannon...

I haven't convinced myself yet, but I'm getting there.

Would it be possible to clean up the threads with a lathe and the 55* tool? I'm not too keen on building a magnum on a Turk. It may be time to talk to Mr. B...

Jason