Military Firearm Restoration Corner

inflation tables

FC

https://www.fxempire.com/forecasts/article/can-gold-and-silver-prices-double-or-triple-as-rising-inflation-destroys-savers-wealth-717613

Fuel filters for my diesel truck are up about 9% over about 5 months ago. Looks like the Harbor Freight generator I bought around a year ago is 13% to 15% more expensive. Canned fruit was around a buck a can not long ago, now $1.68. Steel is way up, ammo, guns, and fuel are way up. I was told today toilet paper and coffee are going up in June. 

Yeah, I noticed it too.  Everything is up, and significantly.  Your article highlights what I've said before:  A nice toga 2000 years ago cost 1 oz of gold.  A nice suite in 1933 cost one ounce of gold.  A nice suite in 2021 costs one ounce of gold.  Gold is not an investment, it is a means to retain value in savings.  During an End of the World as We Know It event, it has little value, but on the other side, it is valuable again.  It is for getting through such events. 

Oh, massively lying.  Been doing it since Reagan, accelerated under Uncle Bill and just keeps on. 

Money plays:

Gold, silver, platinum.  Physical to hold in your hands, or a fund that actually does have physical.  SGOL, Swiss Gold holds it and is in Switzerland.  Easy to buy into with any brokerage.

Foreign exchanges.  The US Dollar is going down.  Near as I can tell, that's the plan. So, who will survive?  Well, the Swiss take their money seriously.  You can buy EWL, an iShares ETF that holds only Swiss stocks.  There's one for Denmark, who have oil and should be OK, one for Singapore.  I would avoid South America.  I would avoid China as well, as much as possible, just on principle.  Same for the Russians, although post commie, I think they are getting their stuff together and strictly following what is in their best interests.  That leaves Australia (no) and Africa (ha ha, not a chance.) 

There is always the chance that we will go hyperinflationary, or even a non-hyper inflationary with a somewhat surviving economy.  In such cases, the Dow Jones and SP500 would be where you would want some money.  A 10-20% allocation would not be out of line, in my opinion, but make sure it is on something like DIA or SPX that is directly linked to the official published numbers.  They fudge those numbers and keep rebalancing the mix to make sure it goes up and looks good, so you want to be in on "the fix" and not holding underlying stocks.

Energy stocks:  These are practically like PM's.  The world needs energy.  The push is to not use carbon, for whatever reason, certainly not what they tell us.  So, uranium stocks or funds, some oil, maybe Shell who is into this green BS stuff, I think.

The Danes are pretty stable, as long as they keep the muzzies under control, and they've about had enough.  Yeah, that EWL is all Swiss.  I figure it should be a good stable fund if things go all wonky here.

Another thing to consider is TIPS.  That is, US Treasury Inflation Protected Securities.  They return more if inflation is "officially" acknowledged to be running higher.  It is a better "play" than a regular Treasury, but still a Treasury and as good as it gets in this country.  There are TIPS funds, I'm in a couple, or you can buy them directly from the Feds at like 10 large a pop at auction.  Easier to just buy into a fund.

Gents

I think inflation has been going on since at least LBJ. In any case if we lose the Second the pc will TAKE any thing they want.

If you cannot hold it you dont own it...ask the Indians

karl

7 hours ago, karlunity said:

Gents

I think inflation has been going on since at least LBJ. In any case if we lose the Second the pc will TAKE any thing they want.

If you cannot hold it you dont own it...ask the Indians

karl

When I was in the 8th grade about 1963 or 4 I saw my first federal reserve note. A student brought it to school to show our teacher. That teacher was very active in Goldwater’s presidential campaign VS LBJ The teacher warned the class about future inflation and advised us to save silver certificate cash, silver coins and silver dollars especially.To a bunch of 13-15 year old kids we didn’t pay much attention to him. I found out a few years later the teacher got into trouble with the school district administration after some parents complained about his support for Goldwater.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:06 AM, karlunity said:

Goldwater was right indeed and about many things

karl

I never could figure out exactly why Goldwater started turning lib a year or so before he died. He openly supported a Lib Democrat for Congress and she won. Some claimed in his old age needing  24 hour care. He married a RN that was taking care of him and it was said she was a major influence as was his gay son. Goldwater openly supported gays in the military. Goldwater and his son often visited the auto parts store I worked in Scottsdale. He was childhood friends with the owner of the parts store. I never got as much as an introduction. Goldwater would show up then him and the store owner were off to a bar. Goldwater’s son was an arrogant jerk. He once gave me and the other countermand a bad time because we didn’t have a plastic fan blade for his foreign sports car in stock.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:09 AM, Zek said:

ALL politicians are ****.

Goldwater was indeed a politician but when I reflect back to 1964. Had he been elected President I really believe the USA would be in much better shape today financially. There wouldn’t have been LBJ’s so called War on Poverty that got us food stamps, increased welfare and no fed bucks to public schools. Chances are good something similar in later years but possibly been paid for without deficit spending. Eisenhower built the very expensive interstate highway system without deficient spending. During Goldwater’s campaign he said something to the effect giving North Vietnam something like 30 days to withdraw north of the DMZ or he would reduce the north to a swampland. He refused to answer reporter’s questions if he was threatening the use of nukes. The USA using Trump’s lingo would have saved blood and treasure if the Nam War ended rather than LBJ escalating it. Goldwater would have likely increased defense and NASA budgets but using JFK’s logic of reduced taxes actually generated more dollars into the federal revenue stream. Had Goldwater been elected and the US dollar stayed on the then so called gold standard with gold, silver and Platinum behind US currency. Today there might be inflation but no where near the rate it is today. We survived Carter, Obozo and now President Harris. After gas exceeds 5 or 6 bucks a gallon and people forced to get loans before April 15th. Trump will be re-elected and save our donkeys. OK off my soapbox and back to sporting Mausers!!

I also think the nation would have been been better off had Goldwater won.

LBJ with the support of the media did a job on him making him look like a madman and a racist...which he was not. He was a Constitutionalist. 

Sorta like the job they did on Trump minus covid of course

karl

The media turned Goldwater into a racist after he spoke to black leaders. Goldwater using the then polite term. Told the leaders to achieve their goals to register every Negro in the country to vote.. What didn’t make it to the news was Goldwater’s commitment of federal help should their voter drives be interfered with local authorities. 

What hurt Goldwater more than anything was his lack of respect for the American worker. Don’t know if it were true but the media quoted him speaking to a $500 per plate dinner of business leaders and executives. Complained of the high wages Americans are paid compared Europeans. Can’t quote him verbatim but he spoke of breaking unions and he felt union mother orgs such as the AFL-CIO and Teamsters were Commie fronts. I can also recall some horror stories about how employees of his Dept Stores were treated. The Dept stores were really operated by his family and Goldwater himself had little to nothing to do with the operation after he went into politics. Another quote I don’t know if it was true or not. Goldwater said it’s not what you pay employees it’s what you promise them in the future. 

Despite all the bad about him. Had Goldwater been elected there never would have been LBJ’s Great Society or GCA 68. Goldwater firmly supported gun rights and LBJ was angered GCA 68 didn’t go far enough. 

• 3 weeks later...