Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Army video, tunnel rats

FC

I worked almost two years with a former Nam tunnel rat about 69-70 at a Scottsdale auto parts store. He claimed it was a souvenir hunt. He told me his best find which he sold to officers were Thompson mags. He complained that the Army was paying a cash bounty on US goods found in the tunnels as they were trying to locate whom was involved with the black market selling US supplies to Charley. He claimed Korean Army officers were suspected. The only fresh US goods he ever found was a stash of medical supplies. His gripe being a Marine the Corps said thanks, a pat on the back but no cash reward from the Army. He said he never encountered an enemy soldier in the tunnels. Never went in real deep as he feared booby traps or permanently messing up his hearing from gunfire. He told me they would drop in smoke bombs searching for exits then pass the location to the Army that had a team that went in deep. He later got an early discharge and monthly disability check every month after screwing up his knee on a pungi stick in a booby trap. 

An interesting vid.  I did note that the foliage looked a whole lot like North America and not a tropical jungle.  Pine trees, oak trees, etc.  And I had no idea they used nitro methane as an explosive.  Sure make drag cars go fast.

I looked but couldn’t find it. A couple years ago I saw a YouTube video that showed an underground hospital in Viet Nam captured by tunnel rats. 

During the late 60’s the parts store I worked sold what we called a nitrous kit. Don’t know if it was oxide or methane. The kits were popular with RV’ers needing the extra oomph to climb up into the mountains in northern Az.When I was a teenager every now and then I’d add aviation fuel to my 57 Chevy. Afterward I could light up and smoke my rear tires from the extra power. 

That would be Nitrous Oxide, Az. Nitrogen doesn't like to bond with anything, and it will dump that oxygen as soon as it can, giving extra oxygen to the motor.  Now, just extra oxygen wouldn't do much good, but with that extra there, you dump more gasoline to it and that burns and gives you extra power.  It's kinda hard on a motor and I'm surprised that they sold kits like that for RV's.  Blowing the motor on your RV would be a lot worse than climbing a hill a bit slower.  They sell the kits as "shots" today, like a 50 shot, 100 shot, etc., for an extra 50 or 100 HP.