Military Firearm Restoration Corner

how self-sealing fuel tanks worked.

FC

That vid is interesting, but their little demonstration is not at all how they describe actual self sealing fuel tanks.  Diaper gel taped to a plastic bag is not a sheet of rubber between 2 containers.

The 1960’s Goodyear Double Eagle tire was marketed as flat tire proof. The tire had an inner tire with a proprietary sealant ingredient in between the two layers. According to my father then a mid level manager with the now defunct Goodyear Aircraft (later Aerospace) division. Goodyear Tire &. Rubber used the technology developed by the Aircraft division. The puncture proof tires were not successful due to the high cost and the limited miles one could drive after the outer layer was punctured. According to dad in order to repair the outer tire. The inner tire had to be completely removed then a gel like substance added before the inner tire was installed. It was a very expensive repair and in the mid 60’s there were only two facilities in Arizona that could do the fix properly.  Most the time the inner tire and sealant were removed permanently and the hole if not to large patched. Dad told me Goodyear stopped marketing the automotive double tires to the public. The self sealing tires were and possibly still made for the US Military and govt. Seems to me I read somewhere the presidential limousine could travel many miles at high speed after the tires were shot. Might or might not be the same 60’s tech. The 60’s flat proof bias ply tires were made before radial tires became the norm.