Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Transporting firearms

FC

Around year 2000 I was making numerous trips between Phoenix and Los Angeles. I always topped off at a gas station by the border on the Arizona side. I would remove the cylinder from a revolver, place the frame in a locked brief case then put the ammo and cylinder in a handgun carry case with a padlock. Placing everything to the back of my SUV. I never got pulled over but had my story ready that I was on the way to visit my cousin in Oregon.

I did run into trouble walking from my uncles LA house to a convenience store with USPS issued dog spray in my shirt pocket. A cop saw the spray in my pocket at the store then stopped me on the sidewalk on the way back. The cop finally let me go but kept the dog spray. He likely wanted a souvenir to remember his power trip. I later learned there was a court challenge going on about California citizens carrying bear spray for self protection in areas that a bear attack was highly unlikely. There is/was a law prohibiting the public from carrying pepper spray or Mace type products. I kissed up to the cop profusely apologizing as I didn’t want to go to jail or deal with a ticket. I BS’d about a dog attack the previous night then he finally let me go after running my ID and giving me a fatherly lecture.