Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M.N. Polish "Trainer"

Guest Uncle "Trotsky"

Guest Uncle "Trotsky"

A friend gave me a WZ48 Polish trainer, it looks like the 44 Radom carbines and is made at the Radom factory.

A heavy duty rimfire single shot made in 1954, I read a report someplace that the chambers are somewhat oversized by U.S. standards.

I will shoot it some in the weeks to come, and if a problem arises with the cases splitting, I am thinking of reaming it to .22 Mag. but would not like to alter a semi rare training rifle, so ........before I "BUBBA" this little rifle, I will offer it to the collectors here, I know some of you love these old eastern bloc toys and may like to have it.

Best Regards,

Leon,

Whoa unc! Before rechambering (if you decide to go that route) be sure to check the BORE as well as the chamber. .22LR (as well as shorts and longs) use the "heeled" .223 "rim-fire" bullet while the .22WMR use standard .224 "center-fire" bullets even though it's a rim-fire cartridge.

0.001" may not seem like much but the WMR is a whole lot more potent than a .22LR and the added pressure of an undersized bore has been more than some old rifles can stand. Maybe this one is up to it, but approach such projects cautiously. Might want to consider relining the barrel before doing the ream job. Thus with a fresh bore she could be quite a contender. Could even go with one of the 17 rim-fires that way if you want to.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...