Military Firearm Restoration Corner

WW2 guns still in service

FC

12 hours ago, Zek said:

I still think a 1911, an M98 / M1903 and an M2 is cutting edge.

Nearly every center fire bolt action rifle manufactured today is based on the 98 Mauser. During the Falklands War on a news report I saw two Argie soldiers in the background carrying what appeared to be scoped 09 Mausers. The 1911 with some custom features is still currently being used by Marine Corps Special Ops. The 50 caliber Browning is still in service. A member of my gun collectors club claims he was told by one of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier guards. They still had unfired chrome plated 03 Springfield’s and swords available if needed for ceremonial purposes. 

13 hours ago, Zek said:

There is just something about a 1911 and a Mauser. The idea that they could make something that good, with primitive machines compared to today.

Except that "Skilled Labor" was involved... as noted, Skill trumps Heavy Machinery...IMO

Maybe I missed it in the video, the WW2 Brit Sterling 9MM sub machine gun. Seems to me I read or heard the Sterling along with the US Grease Gun were both still in tanks during both sandbox wars. The Sterling is still in use in India and other former British Commonwealth countries as is the Enfield rifle as mentioned in the video. I saw and handled but didn’t shoot a semi version of the Sterling. Saw it in the vendor display area of the early 80’s NRA Convention n Phoenix. It was missing the trigger mechanism as were many of the guns displayed were somehow disabled because of President Reagan’s appearance. I quickly lost interest in the Sterling after hearing the suggested retail of 499 and it appeared to be crude and cheaply manufactured. 

Years ago a member of my gun club and ammo collector. Had some WW2 dated German issued 45 ACP  I was surprised in the video to see some Norwegian 45 ACP 1911’s were issued to German troops. I thought the club member was BS’ing especially seeing the 15rd boxes to be used in 7rd mags. I don’t recall the numbers, he had two boxes with one for sale. Best I recall his early 90’s asking price was well over 100.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:24 AM, Racepres said:

Except that "Skilled Labor" was involved... as noted, Skill trumps Heavy Machinery...IMO

I agree, seeing the quality of 1890’s Krag and Mannlicher rifles. I wonder how much labor intensive hand fitting, stoning and needle nose filing were used in the pre 1900 Winchesters and Colt revolvers. I wonder if the early Colts manufactured by Eli Whitney and later in Colt’s own factory even had electricity powered machinery. 

No electricity back then.  Water powered, typically, turning overhead shafts which were then linked to the machines with buffalo leather belts.  The industrial revolution was driving the extinction hunting of the bison for the belts.

2 hours ago, FC said:

I heard somewhere the Stirling wasn’t very good, for some reason.

From what I recall reading. The Sterling had the same problem as the German Schmeisser. Inertia on the open bolt from being dropped caused a discharge. I read the Brits like the Sterling because of the side loading magazine. It could be fired while laying low on the ground. 

On 6/13/2021 at 4:53 AM, Dr.Hess said:

No electricity back then.  Water powered, typically, turning overhead shafts which were then linked to the machines with buffalo leather belts.  The industrial revolution was driving the extinction hunting of the bison for the belts.

I recall seeing something like that on tv, probably the History Channel. It demonstrated an operator operating what I guess could be described as a transmission. He could send power from a river to different parts of the factory by tightening belts to various pulleys. I  can’t recall the type of factory but the system mainly powered sewing machines and some other equipment. I saw a somewhat similar system in a Portland Or restaurant that operated numerous ceiling fans. It wasn’t operating when I visited. It was right on the river that divides Oregon and Washington. I did get to see from a distance, a bridge turn sideways rather than rise for boat traffic. According to the restaurant waiter, during the 1800’s there were many factories along the river using it for power.