Military Firearm Restoration Corner

MAUSER PRICES GOING CRAZY

AzRednek

Guess they are being gentle offering a four month pay. I know I’m an ol’fogie, then there is inflation but this is just crazy. Showing my age I remember these for 29.95 and either 2 or maybe it was $2.50 one got a bayonet and a new Argie green leather sling. Many already came with a well worn sling. The short bayonet shown in the ad is incorrect. The short bayonets will fit but we’re issued with the engineer and Calvary carbine. Makes me wonder what my oddball Peruvian 91 variation might fetch. My Peru 91 is marked Modelo Argintino but has a Peruvian crest. It has the earlier Gew 88 type rear sight and a shorter hand guard. Mine has an arsenal re-lined barrel and is a terrific shooter. I might still have photos, if I can find them I’ll edit them in.

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-german-made-m1891-argentine-mauser-rifle-by-loewe-of-berlin-with-shortened-bayonet-sling-made-in-1894?variant=39406376616005&trk_msg=J5J9DP1J0L6KFFF10QRPNSRMH4&trk_contact=DHHKGOOFD2RR1USEF21L7PG9I4&trk_sid=7MBHE8LGJ0F0BO4TQADGN2P6U0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Product&utm_campaign=20210626&utm_content=20210626

The price of everything is skyrocketing.  Anything collectable is really taking off as people try to dump cash into something tangible. I saw a really clean Chilean go for $1200 or better on gunboards.  Antiques are really up too, especially fully functional ones as people want something totally "off the books," so to speak.

On 6/28/2021 at 6:05 AM, Dr.Hess said:

The price of everything is skyrocketing.  Anything collectable is really taking off as people try to dump cash into something tangible. I saw a really clean Chilean go for $1200 or better on gunboards.  Antiques are really up too, especially fully functional ones as people want something totally "off the books," so to speak.

One of nice things about guns like precious metal. They can be turned into cash and quick.

A few years ago I found myself embarrassed when my wife left. The very first thing I did was kill all he plastic including my bank debit cards over the phone. I did it on a Friday morning before a holiday weekend. By night time after going through a Jack in the Box and attempting to pay with debit card and having it rejected. I paid with cash then came to a realization I had about 12 bucks cash period and a bit less than a quarter tank of gas. I had also killed my gas cards. The next day a Saturday I got a $250 loan at a pawnshop for a Smith & Wesson that was previously papered to me 

Cost me a small fortune to redeem the loan but at least I could buy gas. I had about a 60 mile round trip to my son’s house for a holiday barbecue. I also promised to bring some Kilt Lifter beer. I didn’t realize it but by signing the pawn ticket I was charged for fees for govt documents (4473) background check fee as I had to go through the same process as a purchase and a chicken shot fee gun oiling. On top of having to pay interest for the 90 duration of the loan even though I picked it up a few days later. I don’t recall the numbers but after arguing remember it being reduced some but still costing over 300 bucks.