Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stopping poison ivy

FC

Some good ideas there.  Will definitly use a wash cloth going forward.  I do try to avoid the stuff.  I kill it wherever I see it, and I have 10 acres of it.  It's pretty much cleared from all regular walkways, although I found some more behind the house today.  Poison Ivy Killer is what I use, a Roundup product.  And I've found the Tecnu works pretty well.

Oh yes, the oil just gets vaporized, then sucked into your lungs where the allergic reaction strikes.  Quite dangerous.  Plus, the vaporized oil will attack all your exposed skin, not just what got touched by the plant, much more common than inhaling it.  Bad stuff to burn.  That stuff is all over central Texas.  I had it pretty bad from our land near Calvert.  We didn't have any ticks, though.  The fire ants kill them.  I'm not sure which is worse.

A lady I worked with and she was a blue eyed blonde hottie. Spent over a month in the hospital most the time on oxygen and almost didn’t make it out alive. Living her entire life in Phoenix she was unaware of poison ivy. Her and a companion on a trip to Arkansas came in contact with poisen ivy. He got by with a nasty rash but she got it bad into her lungs. She had a history of a lung infection as a child I was told being somehow related to chicken pox putting her in the hospital that may have had something to do with it. She was off work for about 90 days.

Doc I’ve found using engine degreaser being the best for killing any kind of vegetation as long as it doesn’t get wet from rain. I got the tip from an old grade school friend that became a tree arborist. I fought over two years trying to kill a Mulberry tree that was growing under the foundation of my house. I used various chemicals I bought from a nursery even burning it.  Every time I thought it was dead it would grow back in a different location a few feet away. My friend told me to let it grow some, spring some leaves then use water soluble engine degreaser. If the leaves shriveled up over night then drill some holes letting the tree absorb the solvent. I repeated with the degreaser for a few days and it finally died. I use the degreaser at my house and the rentals where I don’t want anything to grow. Some weeds shrivel up and begin turning black in a couple of hours

Interesting on the degreaser.  I may have to try that.  But the Roundup Poison Ivy stuff is really good.  I buy the concentrate and keep a spray bottle of it.  When I see the stuff, spray spray.  It kills the roots.  I kill anything with 3 leaves.  That way, next time I don't have to look close and make sure it's not poison ivy.  If it didn't want to die, it shouldn't have been on my property with 3 leaves.