Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Damascus steel from 1000 y/o knives into a new knife

FC

A bit off subject and nowhere near a thousand years old. According to a close friend that ran a leaf spring manufacturing facility. Many hand made knife makers, two in particular from Arizona that in the early to mid 70’s. We’re famous enough to get $2-500 per knife were often made from used salvaged automotive leaf springs. One knife maker in particular whose name I don’t recall. Would go through scrap leaf springs, have my friend put them into their ovens until cherry red then select springs that didn’t show signs of defects or cracks. The red hot springs were quenched in oil then painted as soon as the oil burned off to stop the steel from rusting. I guess there is something about the spring steel’s ability to hold a sharp edge far better and longer than current manufactured hunting knives especially those using stainless steel. My friend being the boss was often paid with hand made knives that had some kind of minor error. Usually the boo-boos were in the material or art work in the handles. 

On 7/7/2021 at 8:27 AM, FC said:

Beautiful stuff! I made a knife in shop class in high school from a file. It was sharp as a razor, but too brittle. It was stolen by some turd.

I started to do the same in high school with a file I took out of dad’s toolbox and the teacher took it away from me. He didn’t buy my BS I was making a butcher knife for mom. In the wood shop there was a sign saying no Billy clubs by the lathe.