Military Firearm Restoration Corner

where to get SAAMI specs?

724wd

my Hornady reloading books dont seem to list the SAAMI pressures for their cartidges, so i was wondering if any of you guys may have found a list somewhere...? in particular i am looking at the pressure difference of 7x57 and 6.5x55. these are the calibers i am contemplating for my spanish small ring.

edit:

seems with further searching both are 46,000 cpu. anyone have other data?

well! quite the table, thanks! one thing that stands out in my head, however is the SAAMI spec for 8mm Mauser is considerably less at 35,000cpu than either the 6.5x55 at 46,000 or the 7x57 at 51,000. would then the 8x57 be a safer cartridge for a small ring? what other factors go into deciding what cartidge is safe for a small ring other than SAAMI specs? i always thought the .257, 6.5x55, 7x57 and .300 savage were the ones to look at on a small ring.... blink.gif

I believe, and I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong, that the SAAMI specs for the 8mm are set so low for those people who have small ring 95/96s, not small ring 98s. Even so, I would imagine that that could be increased safely. It is my understanding that European 8mm, and most other ammo, like the 9x19mm Parabellum is loaded much hotter than here in Law Suit Concious America.

Olsen's MAUSER BOLT RIFLES, p. 132, lists the 7.9mm S cartridge, 154 gr bullet, with a max pressure of 44,082 psi. Giving 2936 fps with a 29.13" barrel.

Same book, p.134, the 7.9mm sS (heavy bullet), 198 gr bullet, with a max pressure of 46,926. Velocity of 2575 out of 29.13" barrel, and 2476 out of a 23.62" barrel.

Remember the Garand was rated at 50,000 psi, and 2800 fps out of a 24" barrel.

I couldn't find a pressure listed for the 7mm with the heavy, 173 gr bullet. However, p.142 has a listing for the 7mm Mauser with the 139 gr bullet. It shows 2788 fps, out of a 23.19" barrel, and a max prssure of 45,504 psi.

Also, listed was the 7.65 Mauser with the 154 gr bullet. It showed 2755 fps out of a 23.19" barrel and 42,660 psi.

By comparison, p. 58 shows the old loadings for the 7.65 Mauser. The old Belgian 7.65mm with a 216 gr bullet gave 2034 fps out of a 30.67" barrel, with a max pressure of 39,816 psi. The Turk 7.65 is very similar..

The FN loadings, p. 160, have the 7mm with a 167 gr bullet, at 2460 fps out of a 23.19" barrel, at 42,660 psi.

The 7.65mm uses a 174 gr bullet, at 2378 fps, 23.19" barrel, at 39,816 psi.

Just for fun, I am listing the Swedish 8mm Model 32. Bullet weight of 219 gr, velocity 2525 out of a 23.62" barrel. p. 193.

Guess I should have read the whole post before commenting. As for the 7x57, yes it does have an actual SAAMI specification higher than some cartridges BUT, bear in mind this is the main original chambering of these rifles, so it follows that (IF the rifle is in good condition) it would be a logical choice. Any sub-50,000 chambering should be considered safe in good rifles. Again, YES the 8x57 is down-loaded in The States. The reason will vary with the person providing it but it is safe to assume every reason is directly related to litigation fears as stated previously. Just about all foreign 8x57 ammo exceeds SAAMI specs. Does this make it unsafe? NO, once again providing use in a good rifle. Likewise, hand loaded 8x57 ammo can safely exceed SAAMI specs to produce outstanding performance but of course you are then in unknown territory in regard to just what the pressure is. Thousands of M98's have been built in calibers in the 60,000 range which the action takes in stride. Many of these have been involved in "incidents" where considerably higher pressures were encountered (wrong ammo, chamber problems, etc.). No doubt good quality pre-M98's will safely handle much higher pressures than recommended as well but this is getting into dangerous territory. The pre-M98's biggest drawbacks are it's inferior gas handling characteristics and the lack of the (third) safety lug.

Any way, to get back to your dilemma, there are a number of cartridges within the capabilities of the small ring actions. My suggestion is to first decide what you want the rifle to do, then choose an appropriate cartridge to meet your expectations. Good luck!

THis book has the saami specs with tolerances on chambers and cartridges.

It is not in the load books, as saami wants a bunch of money for the info.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=book+h...=ff&oi=froogler