Military Firearm Restoration Corner

WW1 Q-Ships Silent Movie

FC

When I was about 12-13 my friend’s grandfather a merchant seaman before and during WW1 told us a story of an encounter with a German submarine. His ship was stopped by a German submarine, boarded, ordered all the sailors into life boats then sank it with their deck guns. I can’t recall where he said his ship was returning from back to the USA. The only cargo of any significance were bags of mail and some cases of Wine that the Germans took aboard their sub. All the Germans allowed them to take on the life boats were blankets, water and fishing gear. 

I don’t know if the story was embellished as he also told us some tall tales about cowboy life in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas during the early 1900’s. After the incident he told us he didn’t return to the sea until the war ended. Him and a few sailor friends came out west working on cattle and horse ranches drifting from job to job using different names to avoid the draft.

On 7/13/2021 at 4:57 AM, FC said:

Interesting story. Too bad he cast doubt on his tales.

He was a character and a story teller. According to my friend he never got past the 4th grade. My friend the oldest sibling of five kids just loved the old man. He stayed for about a month spending all kinds of money on them. He bought the family a large cabinet color TV. I’m sure in 1962-3 it cost big bucks. All the kids got new shoes, clothes and toys. Bought the family a freezer and loaded it with meat. My friend’s mother refused his offer of first a new and later even a used car. He was great with the young kids claiming he was friends and on a ship with Popeye and Bluto and sang them a Popeye tune about Spinach. He told the kids wild stories about being a Cowboy. Fighting Indians as a deputy with Wyatt Earp then sang them the theme song from the TV show. I wasn’t there but my friend told me he convinced the kids he was in the Calvary with somebody like Wild Bill Hickok or some other popular early 60’s TV Cowboy. 

In a car ride with my friend’s mother driving, grandpa riding shotguns turned around and lectured us about going to school and church, saving money, minding parents. When the old man said something to us about staying out of big trouble by keeping it in our pants. My friend confused said something about “you mean the money I save”. Can’t recall her words exactly but his mom very angrily and loudly said “daddy shut up they’re only 12” Best I recall the old guy visited again when I was about 16-17 but I didn’t get to see him. My friend told me he looked very old and unhappy. He died a few months later in a New England rest home.