Military Firearm Restoration Corner

reports of factory ammo failures

FC

I have never seen any of the problems she describes, but then I haven't been buying ammo lately.

I know that the Remington 22LR Golden Bullets had a bad run for a couple years during the last panic.  I think I finally got through all of them and I'm now into the previous generation, probably early 2000's, which seem to be better.  Still have the occasional misfire with them, but not 1-2% like I was getting.

I actually saw CCI 22LR's on sale at Walmart the other day.  I was going to buy a box just because, but couldn't find an associate.  They also had some center fire rifle ammo, and more than just one caliber. 

In the 80’s there was an incident when a bad guy managed to get a cop’s gun away from him. The bad guy attempted to shoot the cop but the round was a dud. I think it might have been Remington Ammo in a Smith and Wesson pistol. The issue was never resolved far as I know as S&W blamed the ammo and Remington blamed the gun. From what I recall police departments all over the country stopped using that type of ammo. The cop claimed it was an act of God. 

In the mid 70’s I bought some ammo from a gun store fire sale. Most the ammo had significant smoke and water damage on the boxes and a few I got the styrofoam started to melt. I only had one dud from a box of Remington 44 Special. Nearly the entire plank of styrofoam was partially meltedI. I used a knife to cut the ammo out then used a dry SOS pad to remove residue on the brass. The one dud from the corner of the tray was discolored and good sense I should have tossed it. I was young and stupid I guess and fortunately it didn’t shoot or worse exploded in my fragile Charter Arms Bulldog. A friend claimed he had a couple of hang fires from 38’s he bought at the same time but no duds. 

I can’t recall hearing complaining about any USA mfd ammo other than Remington. My preferred brands are Federal and Winchester and if I can afford it Norma.  I can recall hearing and reading about the then new 70’s era Hornady rifle ammo sold under the Frontier brand name having horrible accuracy. During the Obozo shortage era I had more than my fair share of dud Remington primers.

I sent about 120 small pistol primers to Remington that were just empty cups no guts inside. The Remington small rifle primers I bought at the same time were fine. Remington did respond promptly. A rep phoned me wanting the lot numbers off the thousand primer package. The rep did ask me what I was loading telling him 38 Special and 9 MM . About a week or so later I got two 100 rd packages of of 9MM and 38/357 bullets, a letter of apology saying they were unable to ship primers through the mail. Seems to me I also got some kind of rebate coupon I misplaced. I can’t recall the exact words in my letter but it wasn’t polite. I was really pissed as I paid about double or more than the pre Obama price. 

Sorry guys if you made it this far with my keyboard rambling. I’m obviously very bored !!