Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stopping power data

FC

An interesting study.  Also brings out the point that 22LR is very deadly, or as deadly as any other handgun, but not a "fight stopper."  And my observations from multiple shooter events that rifles are MUCH more deadly than handguns.  Such as:  News report of 15 shot, 4 dead - handgun.  15 shot, 12 dead - rifle.

Shoot a Ground hog... or certainly a Skunk with yer .22lr

then you will Know why I use Nothing under a .357..   35 Remington is Better... .308 is Overkill... but not much to Bury... all Good...

I’m a firm believer in a shotgun for home defense but obviously not for open or concealed carry. I prefer #4 buckshot and have my Turk Bennelli clone with a Beretta spreader choke handy if the need arises. For concealed carry I’m confident with my 38 snubby. During the short cold period here in Phoenix I might carry something bigger more powerful with a higher capacity than my 5-shot 38. 

As far as mouse guns a 32, 25 or 22 RF seems to me any headshot should instantly stop an attacker. Torso hits different especially when dealing with a bad guy high on drugs not feeling pain from the wound. A Phoenix cop I knew while I was a teenager claimed. Most bad guys when shot will stop and fall regardless of caliber or location of the wound. He said the falling part is an act of submission relaying you win don’t shoot me again. He claimed in his early 60’s training. One instructor favored shooting bad guys in their pelvis as being the most effective way to stop an attack or runner because it was the most painful. 

The cop I mentioned took on a fatherly role to many kids myself included in my neighborhood. He only shot his gun once in over 20 years of service and missed. The only bad guy he saw get shot and killed a was by a detective with a shotgun. He claimed the armed robber was literally blown backwards off his feet. 

Years ago I saw the aftermath of a shooting. I didn’t see it happen but from one witness told me I hope I never see it happening. When I arrived the body was gone. Just like on TV the area was marked where he fell. Unlike TV the victim didn’t die instantly. He begged for help as he coughed up blood before passing out. The sick part was seeing how much of his blood and urine pooled up in a curb. The victim had just repossessed a car and stopped at a nearby pay phone. The shooter on foot with a 357 caught up to him in a convenience store parking lot and shot him twice.

Later I learned the female store clerk that witnessed the shooting. Was so distraught that paramedics took her to the hospital. According to my then next door neighbor. She spent a few days in the hospital, underwent psyc care and was eventually given a permanent disability by worker’s comp.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:49 PM, Racepres said:

Shoot a Ground hog... or certainly a Skunk with yer .22lr

then you will Know why I use Nothing under a .357..   35 Remington is Better... .308 is Overkill... but not much to Bury... all Good...

I don’t know about shooting a Skunk with anything. When I was a kid in the 50’s. A neighbor shot a Skunk with a 22 and he smelled bad and I do mean bad for several days. The stench lingered in his old Jeep Waganeer for a long time. According to my mother and it might have been treated by an old wives tale remedy. His family treated him by drenching with and scrubbed him with tomato soup and juice to kill the odor. He spent most his time outside in the backyard for several days. 

He shot a skunk in his vehicle?  Tomato sauce didn't kill the odor on a cat we had. One time a skunk came after me, but the shotgun put an end to that. 

My cousin used to be a cop, but later ran his own gun store. Two Mexicans tried to rob him. One hid behind the door. He was shot and killed through the door with a shotgun.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:56 AM, FC said:

He shot a skunk in his vehicle?  Tomato sauce didn't kill the odor on a cat we had. One time a skunk came after me, but the shotgun put an end to that. 

My cousin used to be a cop, but later ran his own gun store. Two Mexicans tried to rob him. One hid behind the door. He was shot and killed through the door with a shotgun.

No the Skunk wasn’t in his Jeep. The odor was in the upholstery. Possibly it was transferred from his clothing or some of the spray got inside his Jeep. 

My former brother in law was a paramedic. He told me he became immune to seeing and treating gunshot wound victims but just couldn’t get over seeing some shotgun wounds. He claimed on one call after a cop shot a bad guy with a shotgun. When he arrived the cop was on his hands and knees violently throwing up after looking at the wound. As my BIL started to describe the wound my then wife made him shut up. 

We Shoot Skunks on sight... or they take up residence... However I highly recommend Anchoring them.. Preferably in the open.. Eagles love them...skunks and possum seem to be a Favorite with the local Eagle population..

If allowed to escape to die wherever... they really set up an unbelievable Stench!!

BTW I endeavor to be a minimum of 75 yards away,, and have yet to get any stink Onto Me..

as an aside.. in regards ground hogs.. Either eagles do not prefer them, or the Coyotes like 'em so much that the eagles don't get a crack at em!!!!!

Carrion does not Last at our place

I can recall as a kid in the 50’s. My track home neighborhood when it was built was way north of the city in the middle of nowhere. A paved road north of my house nearly every night a car drove over a Skunk stinking up the area. It was easy to locate it in the morning as Buzzards would be circling it in the sky. Every now and then a Skunk wondered into the hood. Usually a dog or cat would get sprayed. I remember mom once bringing in the laundry off the clothes line and washing it again. The airborne stench was in the clothes. Pretty much became used to, almost immune to the nearly nightly stench but when it was close it was hard to stomach. The county eventually drained a large nearby pond from a former and abandoned horse and donkey ranch and the wildlife and best of all mosquitoes started disappearing. Right after the pond was drained the county put up warning signs and a bunch of the old flame balls The paved road became slick from all the squashed toads and frogs leaving the area in and around the pond.