Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Wheeler scope drill tap jig

Horsefly

Any reason not to shorten the inside bar enough that I don’t have to pull barrel. I have bottom drills and taps and understand the care taken not to drill too deep on the front hole. Looks like about 5/8” would have to be cut off. I’ve drilled and tapped quite a few actions with the jig but never with barrel installed. 

I don't see why not.  A lot of people install scope mounts without pulling the barrel, just stopping before they get to the barrel threads.  Then, a lot of people consider it too hard to stop, use bottoming tapes, etc., and just pull the barrel because in the end, it's easier for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Cut the end off the alignment bar so I could drill front scope mount hole with barrel installed. Worked perfect. Got a caliper measurement on how deep the front screw stuck out of mount and set my drill press indicator on that measurement with just a hair more depth. Then finished hole with bottom drill. Taped then cleaned hole with bottom tap. Came out great.