Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Welded bolt on 95 Chilean today

Horsefly

That looks good.  What did you weld it with?

Oh, I was at Cabella's (now Bass Pro) a couple days ago.  They had a Chilean 93 there, mismatched bolt, but otherwise in OK condition.  $650. Turk 98. $650.  Arisaka. $650.  Also a Ruger #1 in 300 H&H Magnum, $1900.  Some Howa 1500 30-06's in the $550 range.

22 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

That looks good.  What did you weld it with?

Oh, I was at Cabella's (now Bass Pro) a couple days ago.  They had a Chilean 93 there, mismatched bolt, but otherwise in OK condition.  $650. Turk 98. $650.  Arisaka. $650.  Also a Ruger #1 in 300 H&H Magnum, $1900.  Some Howa 1500 30-06's in the $550 range.

Bolt looks great Fly!! 

Doc can’t believe the 650 price tags on the mil-slurps especially the Arisaka. It’s been a few years but I paid $30 for my first Arisaka. It was complete with everything except dust cover and bent monopod.

I started welding with the mig but switched to 3/32” 7018 rod. I have trouble on tiny work getting arc started then seeing around the nozzle. Set the bolt against a scrap piece of 1/2” plate, strike the arc and work it to the bolt. 3/32 on 60 amps works good for me. I would make one weld. Walk away and drink a Coke while it cooled. After 2Cokes switched to a beer. Took 2 hrs. but gott’er done. With bolt body packed tight with heat stop paste and aluminum cable strands, heat stayed right at weld. I held it in my hand after ever weld and was barely warm around bolt root. Bolt handle was different story. The pasted is amazing stuff. 

This is my Jerry-rigged heat sink for the 95 bolt weld. Filled bolt body with paste, then put piece of aluminum cable in and finished filling space with strands of cable. Tapped last couple strands in with mallet. 

C7CC98AB-1C03-49F7-9C13-25BB03D412F2.jpeg

That should do it.  The heat stop stuff that Brownells sells looks to me all the world like mud.  It works, though.  Like the stuff they sell for inletting black.  It looks like grease with black dye added.  Costs a fortune, though.