Military Firearm Restoration Corner

more caliber questions

odies dad

What is the largest caliber that can be used in a 30-06 based case (wildcat)? I have a 35 Whelen and it doesn't have a whole lot of shoulder left for head spacing.

I don't really need one, but I'd like to build a big bore like a 45 caliber but I don't want to mess around with making a magnum bolt face or fighting with a rimmed case.

Could a 45-06 work?

The .40 Whelen is considered by most as the largest and even that is questionable. The .375 seems to be the most agreed upon maximum. By giving the case less slope you could go larger. Take a look at the Howell series of cartridges. A basic -06 case lengthened and I beleieve with less taper. I believe they go all the way up to .40 caliber.

I have a 9.3x57 and the shoulder on that is very small and problematic. I think in a properly cut or tight chamber it would suffice but my chamber is slightly oversize.

Are there wildcats based-on the 240 Weatherby? The case has a .472 rim and a belt - no shoulder to sweat for headspace.

It's about .450 just forward of the belt, so .45 caliber is probably out, but .400 would be a possibilty.

That .400 Brown-Whelen sounds spiffy, but I wonder how it would feed.

I have a .30 Gibbs on a Mauser and feeding is fair. I can put 3 in the mag without issues, but any more...

Sonic,

That story just backs up what I said about giving the case less slope. By giving a shoulder diameter of .458" vs the .441" that is what they are doing.

I have a .30 Gibbs on a Mauser and feeding is fair. I can put 3 in the mag without issues, but any more...

7877[/snapback]

Gunnutty,

Just curious about the 30 Gibbs. I remember the 240 Gibbs being a 30/06 necked down to 6mm. What cartridge is the 30 Gibbs based on??

"...I have a 9.3x57 and the shoulder on that is very small and problematic..."

Better yet consider the 9.3x64. While nearly 100 years old it is a decidedly "modern looking" case design that should negate any potential head spacing issues. Its just a tad long but works easily in a standard length action - as it was designed to. Additionally, it is nearly 375H&H ballistics in a manageable package. A true dangerous game cartridge - although a bare minimum for this task - it is an awesome cambering for "normal" hunting situations. As a final bonus, you'll almost certainly be the only kid on the block to have one!

"...I have a 9.3x57 and the shoulder on that is very small and problematic..."

Better yet consider the 9.3x64.  While nearly 100 years old it is a decidedly "modern looking" case design that should negate any potential head spacing issues.  Its just a tad long but works easily in a standard length action - as it was designed to.  Additionally, it is nearly 375H&H ballistics in a manageable package.  A true dangerous game cartridge - although a bare minimum for this task - it is an awesome cambering for "normal" hunting situations.  As a final bonus, you'll almost certainly be the only kid on the block to have one!

7914[/snapback]

Well, this particular rifle is a Husky built on a 94 action. No 9.3x64 rebore in store for it out of respect of its lomitations. And, since I have a 9.3x62 barrel that I need to install on a 98 action, I'm not in too big a hurry to get another 9.3. Sadly, despite it's performance, the 9.3x64 is only legal for dangerous game in those places where the 9.3x62 is. Thus, despite it's better ballistics, it does not open any more doors into the hunting realm. One day to be sure I'll build a 9.3x64 just not anytime soon. Right now, the .416 Rigby will serve double duty, filling the void where a .375 should be.

Although, I will soon enough be rechambering a nice brno M21H barrel from 8x57 to 8x60. I've just sent off for an 8x60S reamer. I guess that will have to serve as my "only kid on the block to have one" rifle for a while.

Gunnutty,

Just curious about the 30 Gibbs. I remember the 240 Gibbs being a 30/06 necked down to 6mm. What cartridge is the 30 Gibbs based on??

7911[/snapback]

The .30 Gibbs is a .240 Gibbs necked up to .30 caliber. It's an '06 case with absolute minimal taper and a 35 degree shoulder moved forward, leaving the neck length about .250 inches.

I am able to get a 180gr Barnes X-Bullet (old style) to 2950 fps out of a 24 inch barrel using IMR-4831. The rifle is capable of 3 rounds well under an inch (probably about 3/4 inch). I have the barreled action in a Ram-Line stock with a Deccelerator recoil pad. People bad-mouth the Ram-Line stocks, but it's probably the most "in-line" stock I could find. I think the polymer stock material also dampens recoil. I consider the recoil effect to be mild, even from a bench.

All Gibbs cartidges are based-on the same case with only the neck diameter and neck/shoulder juction changing. The largest Rocky Gibbs created was the .338 Gibbs; the smallest was the .240. All are "true" wildcats in that a factory round should not be fired in a Gibbs chamber; they are not "improved" cartridges.

This case would make an interesting .40. The shoulder/neck junction would be .455 inch diameter, located 2.145 inches from the cartridge base. The neck would be short (just under .300 inches) and would probably represent the maximum volume that one could achieve for this caliber from an '06 case.