Military Firearm Restoration Corner

HELP ME HOLOISE!!

AzRednek

As I was getting dressed for my son’s wedding this past Saturday I discovered two suits were destroyed by moths. The past few months I’ve been leaving my back door open for my dog. Didn’t take the moths long to invade. I set up two bug lights, added more mothballs in my closet and cut back the time my back door was left open for my dog. Fortunately I had two other suits in plastic bags that survived the invasion. I still have to check all my button down shirts hanging in the same closet. My closet door right next to my dog’s bed would occasionally get knocked open 2-3 inches. 

I realize this forum isn’t exactly where one goes for laundry tips. If anybody here has had similar problems with moths. I’m begging for advice and suggestions. I’m not a domestic goddess but since my X parted company I’ve handled everything so far. Being lazy I decided to jump on the net and put it off another day going through my shirts.

On 11/24/2021 at 6:25 PM, Horsefly said:

Cedar lined closets are suppose to be for moth. Wonder why 5 gal. bucket of cedar shavings from Tractor Supply they put in horse stalls wouldn’t work in a closet ?

Thx Fly, I used Cedar when I had my uniform business. Two of my sewing machines were on Cedar. I had a particular problem with parcels from the New York garment district bringing along huge moths. So large they set off the burglar alarm a couple of times. After the lights were off there were small lights on the motion detectors the moths landed on creating just enough shadow to set it off. Often the moths were dead on arrival but after the second time of getting up in the middle of the night to turn off the alarm. I carefully opened the New York parcels out side. I had a vendor from Bay City Michigan and occasionally there would be Cedar shavings in the package. 

I’m going to take your advice and swing by Tractor Supply. I currently have plenty of mothballs in the closet but obviously not 100% effective. I’ll likely invest into another bug zapper. So far so good on the shirts and pants I’ve checked.