Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Handle Welding

usmc0332

I made a water immersion out if a piece of 1" pipe about 18" long with threaded caps. I cut a slut in it from one end about the proper width for the stub of the handle to stick out of. I was going to block it up from the bottom with the handle sticking out. I was planning on cutting most of the way through, then heating and bending it to where I wanted it, then gas welding it up. I am both cheap, and on a budget, so i was trying to avoid buying a bunch of stuff to do this. Plus I like making something out of nothing for cheap. My arc welding skills don't include this kind of weld, and I can really lay it down with gas. I was warned that the heat may creep through inside of the piece even if the bolt is immersed. Will this work?

I just wrap the front lugs in a wet rag and OA weld away. I usually turn the cocking cam to mush but this is easily rehardened by heating red and quenching in a bucket of water.

Your welding plan seems sound to me. Take care of the front locking lugs and you shouldn't run into too much trouble.