Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Parts for 2 Mausers

Racepres

Howdy y'all

I have a couple  Mausers that I have decided I would rather keep at least close to original..instead of sporting them..

One K.Kale Turk...the other a 1916 Spanish Oviedo..

Both need Front Bands (bayonet lugs)

Both have handguards...and Neither fits correctly... Close... but Nope

The Oviedo handguard even looks the correct wood and tone.. but...about 1/4 inch too Wide??? Odd to me... but maybe someone has a clue

it didn't fit the "band" or whatever ya call that "ring" that captures the rear of the handguard either.. so... Now...I assume I have lost that sucker forever!!!!

The K.Kale handguard seems almost 1/4 of an inch too long!!! Not gonna go together like that!! Oh, And the K.Kale came up missing a front band (bayonet lug) as well.

Sure beats me what I done with those... but...They are MIA..

Any Help... even identification of misfitting parts, is much appreciated.. I do Not need to sport these pieces..so...shooting decorations they become..

Thanks Much in Advance

Welp...checking more carefully.. The reason the Spanish 1916 handguard appears too wide... it must have split back at the Retainer..and "spread her cheeks"  when someone glued it.. probably why it came sans retainer as well!!!

4 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Can you fix the handguard?  Those things are going for a fortune.   Maybe saw it wherever someone glued it, re-glue with it clamped together at the right width?

I will be trying that in about a moment..

on the slightly too long one???? The Turk K.Kale.

I will look at that one later..

Thanks for the encouragement!!

I think the handguard will come into it.. enough for this particular project.. Now I can find rear retainer and front barrelband/bayonet lug... But was hoping someone had "left overs" from a sporter project!!!

• 3 weeks later...

It’s almost a crying shame that Springfield Sporters sold out to Century Arms. They were a good source for what I call nickel and dime parts. Seemed like they were very knowledgeable about subtle differences between say a Czech, Polish or German Mauser. Several years ago  needed a retainer for a Mauser stock. Century Arms didn’t even want to talk to me about Springfields Mauser parts. After I asked if they have the loose parts for Mausers they told me to contact a gun dealer or gunsmith that they are a wholesaler and don’t sell retail. You might try Numrich as they are good about refunds if the parts are wrong but you’ll have to eat return postage. It will be a roll of the dice but you might get lucky with SARCO. Can’t remember, it was either Karlunity or Z1R gave me the retainer I needed for a Polish Mauser for free.