Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New project

Horsefly

Just curious Fly.

In Arizona any motorized vehicle. Be it an electric golf cart or even a motor assist bicycle. Has to be licensed and have liability insurance if used on public roads. Once upon a time in most Arizona counties an emission test was required to be licensed. Seems kind of silly an electric golf card had to be emissions tested. Guess the state and the company contracted to do the testing didn’t want to give up the revenue. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve been filling cylinder with brake fluid for a week now. I pulled the motor off and stood it on its end and every morning fill it up with brake fluid. It leaks past the rings but still can’t spin it. Fixin to do a complete tear-down. 

For what it might be worth. A machine shop I called on selling auto parts. Used a mix of rubbing alcohol and Marvel Mystery Oil then forcing it into the threads with a high pressure air hose attachment. The owner joked saying if it fails even after reading the instructions I have a set of Snap-On nut splitters. He was trying to remove an exhaust manifold from an old Hudson he was restoring. The shop’s owner claimed in the old days we used warm Coca Cola. He said the warm and thin Coke would dissolve rust eating it’s way into the threads and by morning it left a sticky sugary residue in the threads that was like grease.

The machinist was among the numerous auto mechanics in the Scottsdale and Tempe area. After seeing and hearing of the incredible prices old cars running or not were selling for at the Barrett Jackson auctions as an opportunity to make some easy money. I can’t recall the numbers but one of our regulars at the parts store made a small fortune auctioning off his barely running 1950-51 Crosley.