Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another toybox

spec4 e4

About 13 years ago, I built my niece a toybox  and now I got one finish for the next door neighbor for he is having a son in January.  I made a few mistakes but it's nice.  My wife got me a spray gun to spray lacquer.  Fast and easy.  Will post more pictures later.

Rob

Resized_20211227_183556.jpeg

Outstanding ! So cool to see such craftsmanship in these days of plastic and cheap particle board from china. You made an heirloom. You could make a great coffee table same design just taller. Coffee table with storage would be handy. 

Can’t get over idea of a coffee table modeled after the toy box because of it being so beautiful I’d want it in living room and not in play room with tricycle motors jumping up and down on it. All it would need is bigger lip on top to make it a table. Think I’m gonna try to build one. 

I really have to admire and I’m really envious of the skills I see here.

I have to admit my wood working skills are sub par. Guess it’s my impatient personality. On my father’s side of the family. My great and grandfather were carpenters. My grandfather was a highly skilled cabinet maker. After emigrating from Scotland he earned a reputation in the USA for building no squeak wood stairs, cabinets and book cases in mansions and large buildings making a good living. My dad had a white collar job with Goodyear but built some amazing wood projects. He built a carport out of scrap wood crates he scrounged from the Goodyear Aerospace factory. Unfortunately those skills were not in my DNA. 

I can’t say I’m a carpenter but a good builder. I’ve built many hunting stands, several cabins and remodeled 3 houses. I build picture frames outta scrap. But I don’t have skills to dazzle anyone. I think I could if I had worked with someone and had the equipment. I’m extremely slow at gun working and carpentry. I really enjoy both though. 

would like to thanks everyone for the kind compliments.  Every time a make something, I see my mistakes, but have been learning to accept them as characters.  

As for the stain, I made it with denatured alcohol and cloth dyes.  Then I let it dry while I'm out on the road, or about a week if I can put a finish on it.

Thanks again

Rob

23 hours ago, Horsefly said:

True artist are never satisfied with their work. I didn’t make that up. 

I agree and Rob as far as the mistakes go. Don’t point them out to anybody. Something I learned from my high school upholstery teacher. Onlookers see the project as a whole. Tiny errors won’t be seen unless you show them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

In my experience making new things from scratch, the first version is an experiment in tools/techniques.  The second is a design experiment.  The third one is just right.  With careful work, I can sometimes get that down to two versions and doing it in one shot is pretty rare.  Variations on a previous theme, that is, something that is similar to previous work, can sometimes be done in one shot as the tools/techniques are worked out already and the design can be thought out better.