Military Firearm Restoration Corner

No deer but a great day

MorgansBoss

Went to the mountain with my oldest son this morning. We sat on the point of a bench for 2 1/2 hours in sub-freezing temps without seeing a single deer. Finally, half froze, we gave it up and went to visit my dad.

A friend called this afternoon and invited me to their farm for an afternoon hunt. I took a nap and overslept but did finally go. Walking in late (4:00PM) I spooked a huge doe right where I was heading. 1/2 hour before quiting time a six point and five does worked the field in front of me. The farm has an 8-point min. for bucks but two of the does were huge. Unfortunately they were too close to the top of a hill for me to feel good about the shot. Watched them for thirty minutes before finally heading in. The little buck spotted me at one point but couldn't determine what I was I guess. He covered at least 150 yards straight towards me and not taking his eyes off me, before stopping 30 yards away! Luckily something (presumably a mouse) in the field litter diverted his attention and I was able to duck behind the stone fence I was sitting by. The does started to follow him, which would put them in a safe shooting position, but then they all went back to the top of the hill. The meat pole is still empty but it was fun.

Any day hunting is always good. Seeing deer only makes it better. To me, it is the whole experience of being with family and friends, spending time in the woods, and the potential to bring home a deer. I really enjoy taking a deer, but that is icing on an already exceptional experience.

Hunting with friends always makes for a good hunt, even when nobody makes a kill. Someday you will remember the time you had with your friends hunting, while the game you killed is long forgotten.

One of my duck hunts, with friends in Kansas on a frozen pond, will always be remembered. It was so cold that I took along a bottle of blackberry brandy (of course I usually always took a bottle along). We were sitting on a dugout bench built into the bank, about six of us. I took out the bottle and uncorked it, then offered it to the fellow next to me.

"Hah, you have to be a sissy to drink that stuff!" he said. Then realizing that he (and the rest) had forgotten to bring their bottle, he drank from it and passed it down the line. By the time it got back to me, the bottle was empty!

It must have really been cold, because we all seemed to be sissies. But we killed ducks that day.

And now I don't remember much of the kill, but will always remember my friends (and the bottle of brandy).

fritz