Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scope Mounting on a Military Mauser Project

Racepres

First step... Drill and tap. Since I do Not own a "jig" , has anyone simply used a steel one piece (Redfield twist in style) scope mount as a "guide" ??

Second step... Bolt handle. Has anyone had any luck cutting the K98 (bent) style  handle off, then turning it over and welding it back on???

Finally... What is the best heat sink for welding/swaging bolt handles..

Feel like a newby here... but.. may as well ask before I Act!!!

Never did any Bolt modification, always hired that out... Drill and tap??? Only to repair former owner mistakes...

For drilling, put the mount on top, "grab" the top of the mount and the flat bottom of the receiver with some calipers.  This will make sure they are parallel.  Mark your holes, and/or superglue the top to the receiver.  Drill and tap.

Bolt handle:  Yes, I did that with a Spanish 1916:

Bolt4.thumb.JPG.bcd14d8b0483ec4aa10b6a777c0504bb.JPG

The one on the left is an original 1916 bolt, the one on the right I cut the handle off, flipped it over, ground, heated and bent a bit, welded back on with the MIG welder.  I only welded 3 sides, not the back so I wouldn't have to clean it up where it would interfere.

I bought a heat sink for it, but I really don't think it was all that necessary.  I think some heat stop sink paste, which as near as I can guess is just really wet clay, alone would have been fine, and wrap the lugs with a wet rag.

Bolt2.thumb.JPG.f31794ac0f7607d10c4a4c62ce0d659c.JPG

Bolt6.thumb.JPG.fc5ab0420a1943da0a4902f45b65aa5d.JPG

Exactly what I was asking...

Thanks... Off I go with renewed confidence... Luckily, my bolt handle is not bent that far!!! Odd thing about Spanish 1916's... no two seem to have the same exact bolt handle bend!!!!

One thing... your "root" on handle seems quite tall... did it require taller scope rings???

Thank you much for the response...

No, the rings are pretty low, actually.  You can see the back one in the pic.  I did dish out the handle some.  That rifle started as a $200 gun show purchase.  It patterned much worse than any shotgun.  I was determined to make it work.  New barrel, etc., and it shoots well now.

It sure came out nice... I like it lots.. that scope is indeed low... at first glance, i would have guessed the Handle was going to interfere... Glad it turned out so well for you...Good Work!!!

One day I will have something worth showing off....Maybe!!! LOL

Here is the bolt I used on last 2 rifles. They’re plenty long and width at end is same as 95 and 98 stub on bolt. They weld great. Also a pic of the heat stop paste I use. I get it on Amazon. I picked up the end of bolt after a weld pass and wasn’t even warm so stuck my finger in paste. Burned snot outta my finger. Amazing stuff. My bolts never got hot at all. I make one side weld and walk away until completely cool before next weld. I know I ain’t telling you cats anything new. Just thinking someone that’s never welded a bolt need not let so called experts scare them off. No way would I heat one red hot to forge when welding is so much easier. At least for me. I have 2 bolts that were forged and lugs are still harder than a woodpeckers lips and look nice. I just like them a little longer. 

266142C7-E023-4136-B7C7-273C9DBE75F8.jpeg

B85FDF01-DB17-42CF-8291-86DAE5E98B1E.png

Brownells used to maybe still does sell a center punch made just for that. Super glue the base on then punch and drill. You can regrind a pin punch also. I just use the mill and no jig. Dial in center of the y axis then dry fit the base on where you want and drill with a center drill, then the #31. Then move the x axis the spacing of the screws then drill again.

Thank you Horsefly for reminding of that Bolt handle... I had forgotten... The Silicone paste may be what I use after all too... I would like to see one Completed, Please.

Don; No mill here... but decent Drill press...  I understand "glue" base down...  Makes sense... Also hear that folks drill and tap one... then screw it home, then do the rest!!!

You cats been lots of help and encouragement...  Thanks...

As an aside, Thinking of offing this K.Kale... One I do Not apparently "Need"... and I "Need" a Hornet... me thinks!!!

Unless we get the reamer Co-Op Up!!!

I have always wanted a Hornet too. Think I’d be cool to get a H&R single shot with the full stock (can’t spell Manlicher) and completely refinish. Polish out metal for killer blue job and restock with nice walnut. Only thing wrong with my idea is the 100.00 donor rifles are now 5 to 600.00 bucks and hard to find.  

Man... That is Beautiful... Plenty of $$$ tho...

That 8mm Barrel from you is great... except on this particular action... headspace is Much too Tight!!! Gonna need reamed... or try it on a different action!!